Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Bored Now.

I wasn't aware they had so many issues in the past. I feed TOTW and have for a few years now. It's affordable and Middie does really well on it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Maybe I don't read the right threads but I've never felt like the kibble bashing is that bad (aside from brands like Science Diet, Purina, Beneful, etc). When I first joined I fed Purina, switched to ToTW after about six months, and switched to raw about six months ago.

I never had a problem with my dogs on ToTW but the recalls were what forced me over to raw. They were doing fine on it (except kibble gives Murphy death breath ugh) and if there hadn't been the recalls I probably wouldn't have ever switched.

I did just realize though - we had a really hard time keeping weight on Tipper with kibble. Then when we switched to raw she gained too much weight and just recently when we switched back to kibble for a month we couldn't get her skinny again. I have no idea if the food switch coincided with her metabolism changing naturally or if the food switch caused it. Now I'm curious though.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmjr View Post
I look through these forums, and everyone bashes kibble. I feed all of my dogs TOTW, and they all get all the table scraps they can handle, most of which is a steak every few days and such. Is it that important to feed them RAW all of the time, or is that a status thing. When my Rottie had Cancer and wouldn't eat much, he got all the steak he could eat until the day he died, but I can't justify spending $10 day on 5 dogs each, when I don't spend that on myself. All 5 of them do get a 1/4 lb. uncooked burger once a week as a treat, but other than that, they get their TOTW, and the get all of the table scraps.

Hello tarmjr,
Kibble is the most inferior to feed. First is a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet. Next is frozen raw, freeze dried raw, grain-free low starch wet food and then kibble

And yes, a species-appropriate raw meat diet is that important... apparently we have to keep reminding the AVMA, AAHA and about 90% of vets out there about that.

You don't have to spend $10/day/dog... I'll start another thread on what comes down to under $3/day that saved my Husky's life.

Remember:
No annual vaccinations + feeding a species-appropriate diet = Healthiest Cats/Dogs = No vet visits = Unhappy Vets, AVMA & AAHA = Happiest Cats/Dogs = Happiest Pet Parents!
Bon chance, Roger Biduk
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Love my pets

I had switched to Earthborn and so did my friend. All of our dogs started to get some kind of allergic reaction to Earthborn (mine excessive licking, hers had ear infections. She has finally gone back to TOTW and all is good again. I am using Canidae, and 4Health.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Those who feed or have fed TOTW do you have dogs with tear staining?
None here, just the very hard time keeping weight on Enda, and then her getting violently ill (throwing up, pure water poo, etc) and the only thing that stopped it was taking her off that kibble and putting her on another, I first did a small "test bag" of another kibble then put her back on the TotW slowly because I had JUST bought and opened the 30lb bag, she went back to the runs and I permanently switched her to something else (mostly varieties Fromm).
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

I didn't, gage did very well on it, I like many switched at the diamond thing, now we feed Acana grain free and honestly I have less issues with tear staining on Bristol then when she was on raw.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Those who feed or have fed TOTW do you have dogs with tear staining?
My Dogo has bad tear staining. It was bad on TOTW not to mention loose stool and vomiting. But for what it worth, he had bad staining on Orijen and Acana too.

My Greyhounds about ate me out of house and home on TOTW. They couldn't keep on weight and I had to feed so much, it cost me more to feed than more expensive foods.

Then my Doberman bloated on TOTW and I was done with it.

But every dog is different. To the OP, if it works for your dogs, fits your budget, feed it and don't let anyone make you feel bad. You do what works for your dogs. I have fed foods most people on online message board think are pure garbage, but my dogs do fantastic on them and when all else fails, I go back to them.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Love my pets

I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them.

I have neighbors that feed dog chow and the dogs are living long healthy lives. I could never suggest feeding them a more expensive food when they are doing so well on the dog chow.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

We sell a lot of TOTW at my work. Most dogs I know seem to do really, really well on it. My own eat it for training treats, puzzle toys, and sometimes when I forget to thaw them something.

I like it because it's a price I can sell to people who are feeding junk food, and most of them see pretty quick improvement. We carry Fromm as well but only the four star line, and sometimes the cost makes people . lol can't say I blame them.

In general, I give it the thumbs up for being an affordable, healthy option.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Harlow had some UTI issues on TOTW, but that is my only complaint.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle