Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't know...I mean on one hand I would do whatever I needed to in order to get my dogs back but I can't help but have a "negotiating with terrorists" mentality about it...offering a reward is one thing but $15k seems more like publicizing an incentive to steal dogs...for that person to repeat or for others to copycat...
From the standpoint of "my dogs are both standing behind me right now looking for dinner", I agree completely. If it were Meg or Gusto who had been taken? Screw it, I'll negotiate with anyone to get them back.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Whatever it took, probably. I doubt I'd offer that much, because I don't think ever increasing amounts of reward are going to bring the dog back. But if I thought it would get my dog back, I might well do it.

If I were to find this person's dog, btw, I wouldn't accept that much reward. I might be willing to accept a reward, but not more than the owner could easily spare.

I did take a $100 reward from someone once, and felt a little bad about it, because I hadn't looked for the owner. I found the dog wandering in the road on the 4th of July, so I caught it and took it to work with me at a veterinary hospital. Settled the dog in, and left a note for one of the receptionists to call animal control to pick it up the next morning. When I got to work the next day, it turned out the owner had called first thing in the morning looking for their dog, picked it up, and left me a $100 check. Since all I did was catch the dog, scan it for a microchip, and put it in a cage with some kibble, I didn't really think I deserved it, but I was pretty poor, so I cashed the check anyway.

Rambling point being, decent people will be more than happy with a relatively small reward, if any. The mercenary types might need a little more, but after a few thousand dollars, you're really going to run into diminishing returns.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Not a Border Collie

I would not be willing to financially ruin myself, my SO, or my family (etc) over a missing dog, but I would offer as large a reward as I could manage. If Quinn was stolen tomorrow I'd probably start at a $500 reward but be totally willing to go beyond. I would probably even go to the point of borrowing money if I didn't have enough cash to front. So in short - I guess I would be willing to take some hits financially, but I really don't think I'd go as far as this lady did.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Whatever I could reasonably afford at the time, but $500 I think is more then generous. Honestly though, I think any amount of money would be insentive enough for someone that spots your dog to capture it and return it to you.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It would depend on where I am in life. Basically, whatever I could afford without putting myself, family or other pets in a situation where we aren't getting the basics.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Here's another fun theoretical twist to this question. What if your dog was found by someone, and they were holding the dog ransom, while threatening harm to him/her and had some kind of proof (a photograph, etc). What would you all do then?

For me... I'd have to seriously mull that one over. Police obviously would be involved, but my goal would be to do whatever I could to ensure they didn't hurt my dog, and that would mean negotiation and taking some financial smacks.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Here's another fun theoretical twist to this question. What if your dog was found by someone, and they were holding the dog ransom, while threatening harm to him/her and had some kind of proof (a photograph, etc). What would you all do then?
Stalking and physical violence.

I agree with BB, I do agree that offering a reward does start to smack of negotiating with terrorists, but realistically I know if Auggie were missing I would be moving heaven and earth to find him.
Nobody would keep Payton. And nobody could catch Pepper. =P (If Pepper ever got loose it would be a MAJOR problem.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post

For me... I'd have to seriously mull that one over. Police obviously would be involved, but my goal would be to do whatever I could to ensure they didn't hurt my dog, and that would mean negotiation and taking some financial smacks.
I'd call the police.

I don't know that there's a difference between a $500 and $5000 reward. 98% of the time, the person is going to return the dog because it's the right thing to do. 1% of the time, the person has already sold the dog or done whatever they need to do with it. In the 1% of cases that a reward is motivation to turn the dog in, I would think $500 would be more than enough for my shelter mutt.

If I thought more money was the only obstacle to bringing my dog home, I'd offer more money...but I don't think the difference in reward amounts is going to change anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

I have money saved so I'm not going into any debt. I'm also not paying someone who stole my dog. I'm probably going to beat the snot out of you if you show up with a smile on your face asking for cash.

And hate to break it to you but police generally don't get involved with this. Pocession is what matters to them. Happened with my husky years ago. Said take them to court. We went and got her. Chaz is big. They didn't stop us.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
I have money saved so I'm not going into any debt. I'm also not paying someone who stole my dog. I'm probably going to beat the snot out of you if you show up with a smile on your face asking for cash.

And hate to break it to you but police generally don't get involved with this. Pocession is what matters to them. Happened with my husky years ago. Said take them to court. We went and got her. Chaz is big. They didn't stop us.
Someone sent you threatening emails with photo proof they had your dog, and animal control/police/no one did anything about it?