Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Question What would you pay for safe return of a lost pet?

A woman in the uk is offering 10000 for safe return of her lost gsp, believed to be stolen. She has remortgaged her house to raise the money. That's $15800 by the way.

I've been on the page on Facebook awhile. It was 3000 originally.. But she's increased it.

Not sure what I'd pay...

https://www.facebook.com/FindMissingAngel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270609/Distraught-dog-owner-remortgages-house-offer-10-000-reward-champion-pointer-stolen.html

A distraught woman whose champion dog was stolen has remortgaged her home so she can offer a 10,000 reward to help find her beloved pet - one of the largest sums believed to have been ever offered.

Dawn Maw, 42, is offering the five figure sum to anyone with information that leads her to four-year-old dog Angel.
The German short-haired pointer was taken from a car park near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, while Mrs Maw was walking her and her three other dogs last month.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Absolutely everything that I could possibly manage.

Unless it was Frodo, then I'd pay the person to keep him.

(joking, of COURSE!)

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Sit! Good dog.

My other half said he'd pay someone 20 to keep Fred

I wouldn't risk losing my home over my dog..... I don't think it would even occur to me to do that.... I'd certainly spend what I could though.

Let me clarify, if I owned my own home not sure I'd mess with the mortgage to find a dog. If something came up where I couldn't keep a dog in the home, I'd move in a heartbeat.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I love my dogs, but $15,000?!

It would be devastating to have a dog get lost or stolen, but I don't know if I could fork over $15,000. Call me heartless.

I couldn't financially ruin my family for the return of my pet, unfortunately. Though, I've never been put in that position, so I'm not sure how far I would go. I hope I never have to find out.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Whatever I could reasonably afford. Putting my child, my future, even other pets, in financial jeopardy to get a lost/stolen pet back wouldn't happen. What happens if this woman gets the dog back, but can't afford her home anymore? If it's reasonable for her to downsize or something and bring the dog with her, OK, but if she's making an emotionally-charged financial decision, she may get the dog back just to end up rehoming him because she gave up her home to do it.

I might do something like sell my car for an older, less reliable model....sell "extras" etc. in order to come up with reward money, but at the point where it's going to effect the quality of life of the pet if I even get it back...not sure it'd be worth it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

I worked for a surgeon two summers ago putting up lost dog fliers because his Weim was stolen or ran away... He was offering a 5,000 USD reward if I recall correctly and paid me $200 to put up laminated fliers he ordered.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

That. At least.

I don't own a home, I don't have children I need to worry about, and I have options I could follow through on to make my expenses less month to month.

I'd be more than willing to go into debt for either of my dogs, max out credit cards, whatever. The thought of either of them taken and me not knowing if they were safe and happy and cared for fills me with an incredible panic.

Granted, Gusto - they'd probably be paying me to take him back.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't know...I mean on one hand I would do whatever I needed to in order to get my dogs back but I can't help but have a "negotiating with terrorists" mentality about it...offering a reward is one thing but $15k seems more like publicizing an incentive to steal dogs...for that person to repeat or for others to copycat...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I don't know...I mean on one hand I would do whatever I needed to in order to get my dogs back but I can't help but have a "negotiating with terrorists" mentality about it...offering a reward is one thing but $15k seems more like publicizing an incentive to steal dogs...for that person to repeat or for others to copycat...
This.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

For me this goes in the same category as "How much would you spend to keep your dog alive?"

And my answer is however much I could reasonably afford without being financially ruined. Because I have a husband and two other dogs and I can't be bankrupt and take care of them too. But, that question was the incentive for me to have an emergency fund that is specifically for human/dog catastrophe. So we could afford a pretty substantial amount before we had to give up.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013