Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

You guys are awesome

Thanks a ton for everything! I'm going to buy the calcium for after whelp. I've been giving her chicken liver for folic acid, so I might just continue that? I have also decided on the Fromm Duck. I like the company, and actually would like to see if Pentti can transition to that food permanently as well. And I'm sure all three of mine would like some egg, compliments of Bubbles and nursing puppies

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah, folic acid, don't forget that. I, also, supplemented with folic acid and fish oil. Well, I usually supplement with fish oil. That's pretty much all I did. Both my litters were small. Well, Tully had 6, but I unfortunately lost 5, so she only nursed one. Tess had 2. So they had no trouble maintaining condition during nursing. The biggest problem was convincing them it was time to wean their pups. I didn't start to wean until the pups were 5 or 6 weeks, and they were still nursing until at least 8 weeks. My preference is to leave them to do things as naturally as possible, but I'm not sure they'd ever have weaned if I left it up to the dams.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Oh yeah, folic acid, don't forget that. I, also, supplemented with folic acid and fish oil. Well, I usually supplement with fish oil. That's pretty much all I did. Both my litters were small. Well, Tully had 6, but I unfortunately lost 5, so she only nursed one. Tess had 2. So they had no trouble maintaining condition during nursing. The biggest problem was convincing them it was time to wean their pups. I didn't start to wean until the pups were 5 or 6 weeks, and they were still nursing until at least 8 weeks. My preference is to leave them to do things as naturally as possible, but I'm not sure they'd ever have weaned if I left it up to the dams.
I don't let my pups go before 10 wks of age, during the 10th week is when she stopped nursing them completely. Prior to that it could be once a day or 2-3 times a day.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I don't let my pups go before 10 wks of age, during the 10th week is when she stopped nursing them completely. Prior to that it could be once a day or 2-3 times a day.
I forcibly weaned Tess at 8 weeks, because that is the age she was when Tully (her dam) was mauled by my neighbor's dogs (along with Elmo, my other adult SBT). Tully still wanted to nurse and care for Tess, but I was concerned that the puppy would hurt her, she was covered in bite wounds, and her neck was severely swollen from the neighbor's dog attempting to throttle her. So, poor puppy Tess had to be alone in her ex-pen for awhile, and by the time they were reunited, Tully's milk was dried up.

I don't really remember when I weaned Tess' litter. It was more gradual.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Taxiderpy

I think we weaned Kaia's at about 6 weeks or so? The reason was that it takes about a week for the maternal antibodies to leave their system, otherwise the vaccines aren't as effective. One of the puppies specifically needed to have her first shots done and effective in time for her to go home by 9 weeks because she was going to Alaska and the people who got her have to fly literally up to their doorstep to get home, and that needed to happen before the weather turned nasty.