Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Litter Box Questions...

I'm taking over litter duty since DH sucks at it. I had a few questions for kitty owners...
How often do you scoop the box?
Do you use liners?
How often do you remove all the litter and fill with fresh?
How often do you clean the boxes themselves?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'm taking over litter duty since DH sucks at it. I had a few questions for kitty owners...
Every day
Do you use liners?
Nope!
I don't unless Whiskey manages to hit the sides, manages to touch the bottom, or has diarrhea
I wipe down the whole thing except for where the litter touches every couple days with water/vinegar solution. Very very diluted! It only gets completely cleaned when I dump the litter, read above, lol.

My biggest suggestions would be use a nice, clumping litter.
Use a ton of litter, I think I usually have about 20 pounds of litter in the box as once. Maybe more. Make sure the cat has many inches deep litter! This way the cat doesn't get waste on the bottom and you shouldn't have to renew all the litter at a time.
Get a Litter Lifter, seriously. Because of this I can always pick up the whole pile without it breaking, and that is the only reason I can clean as little as I do. Once a pile breaks, you aren't getting it all out of the box, and then you end up with dirty litter. Eww.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

I scoop once a day.

We used to use liners but they were annoying because the cats would just scratch holes in them and so you'd pick them up and end up leaking litter.

I dump all the litter every few months, basically if it starts to have a urine smell or I find a bunch of teeny pieces of soiled litter that are too small for the scoop to catch so they build up in there.

I clean the whole box whenever I dump all the litter. I usually clean with enzymatic pet stain remover like Nature's Miracle and rinse in the shower.

I agree, use a lot of litter, makes things much cleaner because the urine doesnt go all the way down and stick to the bottom. I also suggest using a under the bed tote type thing instead of a litter box, much more room so butts never hang over the edge and miss the box.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Puppy Dog

We use pine pellet litter so scooping is pretty hard. We just typically dump the whole box every 3 days. If it dumps clean with only wash our litter boxes once a month. We dont use liners they are annoying and do not fit in the boda domes with stairs (we have 4 of them and they work the best with the dogs)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
orange iguanas.

I scoop once a day. Errr... that's my daily goal, at least.

Definitely no liners! Giant pain in the butt. Make more of a mess than they actually prevent.

I dump all the litter basically whenever it looks necessary. Sometimes that's every couple weeks. But I just bought a new litter box right before Christmas, and I still have not done a complete litter change.

I clean the box whenever I dump the litter. Then I just scrub it with diluted bleach.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Love my pets

Clean twcie a day (scoopable liltter).

Clean litter box maybe every 6-8 weeks. I'll clean with a littler detergent, and then give it a good wiping with Nature's Miracle.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Every other day, with one small cat, a large box, and multi-cat strength clumping Arm and Hammer litter. If I let it go any longer Willie poops outside the box in the kitchen in protest of going in a dirty box. (I also think part of that was the fact that it was covered, and he doesn't like walking through small areas due to his missing eye. When I moved the box, uncovered it, and cleaned it EOD, he stopped pooping under the table.)

Do you use liners?
Nope.

I have had Willie almost a month and have yet to remove all of the litter.

....never? ROFL

Past experience with our multiple indoor cats, we'd scoop the boxes every day to every other day. Entire box change every couple of months. That would be the time I'd clean the boxes, too.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
SBT Lover!!

I scoop every other day, add a bit of litter every week, and dump out and replace all of the litter every other month (or as needed). I only clean out the whole box when necessary. If the litter is deep enough the box itself doesn't get soiled in my experience.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

How often do you scoop the box? Twice a day, once at each feeding time (so early in the AM, then again in the PM). It literally takes me 2min, if not less time to do it. I couldn't imagine scooping any less than that, and I only have two cats.

Do you use liners? Nope.

How often do you remove all the litter and fill with fresh? Very rarely, never really have the need to. I add in fresh as needed. I keep their litter about.. 3-4" thick.

How often do you clean the boxes themselves? I wipe it down as needed with Clorex wipes.

FWIW, I use Worlds Best litter, it's awesome!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

Daily.

Do you use liners?
Nope.

Very rarely. I use an awesome litter (Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat) and an awesome scoop (the Litter Lifter), so it rarely needs complete cleaning. Maybe once ever six months? Every night when I scoop it I add another cup of fresh litter.

Only when I remove all the litter. I just spray the whole thing down with Nature's Miracle.