Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Mutts to you

I second that, FG. Great photo!

RTH: I really like your second shot, and I think the further away view is more interesting.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Ok, I went and took these after the gym

Needless to say, it's freakin cold. Below Zero air temp, no idea what the windchill is, but it was chilly to say the least. But it's probably the only night I could get out and do anything, so I did. All of these are straight from the camera, no cropping, no editing other than RAW to jpeg.

Similar shot

Settings 15 sec É/4.5 ISO 200 18 mm

Not zoomed this time, could open the aperture a bit more and lower the ISO but had to bump up the exposure time.

IMG_4043 by inn8one, on Flickr
I really like this one! You can even see the stars in this shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Box? Fence post? Car hood? Do you have a remote? I used a box and a couple of phone books to photograph Riley half in shadow because my tripod was too tall for the angle I wanted.
The problem is that I need the camera to be at an angle I'll try to figure something out. I do have a remote but it's not a wireless one, and my camera's shutter speed can be set to 30 seconds. The only problem is getting the lens to be pointing at the angle I want. Still brainstorming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post

Settings: shutter 15 sec, iso 200, f/5.6

Second style.

Settings: shutter 1.6 sec, iso 1250, f/5.6
Oh, I LOVE these!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Behavior Nerd

So I randomly got one I REALLY liked, so here's one of my "entries" for this week.

1/3s, f1.8, ISO100

I tried using a tripod and the timer (no remote) to eliminate blurring from human handling, but I couldn't get accurate focusing. This was taken in my hands, so I'm especially proud of the sharpness of the branches!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

It finally stopped raining and the skies were actually clear, so I ran outside for some quick shots. Unfortunately, I only had about 15 or 20 minutes before I realized I left my dinner in the oven, and by then I decided it was entirely too cold to continue.

That said, considering that this is my first attempt at both night and long exposure photography, I'm happy with what I got. Plus I did not have a tripod or a remote with me, and used a chair and two boxes as a makeshift tripod to get my camera at an angle.

This was taken right before midnight

Exposure: 30 seconds Aperture: f/4 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 15mm

This is what one of the unedited jpeg files looked like. Composition on all the shots completely suck because I forgot to think about it, but I actually like this composition better and should have picked this one to edit. But, it also looks surprisingly okay SOOC. I just was not a fan of the warm/magenta hues, although looking back I don't actually mind it much. The only changes I made were to clone out my house number and crop a little.

Same camera settings:

Another SOOC jpeg shot, again, same settings:

I am going to need a LOT more practice finding the right conditions and settings for a high ISO/fast shutter speed shot. High ISO and night sky photography? It's tough! I'll try again tomorrow and play around with the aperture settings, but if that doesn't work, I'll give up on stars and will probably go on campus. I can find a few buildings that are well lit on the outside so I'll at least be able to get a picture that shows some definition.

To compensate for now, here's another slow shutter speed shot. The Tokina wide angle DOES have the most awful issues with flare in long exposure, but I kept this picture anyway. And yeah, that's the moon.

Same settings (Exposure: 30 seconds Aperture: f/4 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 15mm)

Did I mention how much I loved the Tokina?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Mutts to you

Stardogs: I like it! I tried the same kind of shot last night but mine didn't turn out nearly as well as yours (and I used a tripod because I cannot, just cannot, hold a camera that still at that shutterspeed). Nicely done!

Equinox: I love those shots! And I'm jealous of you getting stars in the background, mine always look either blurry or I have the exposure too long and they move.

There are drawbacks to rural living. I went out on the road last night, and there are no lights, except for random, single house lights in the distance. Not very interesting. Not even a car went by... so, I made my own fun. (This isn't an entry, just goofing around with a small flashlight). 100iso, f8, 8 secs

Been taking shots all week but haven't gotten anything I'm really happy with, so I'm gonna drive into town tonight and see what I can get. Hopefully, I'll have something to post tonight.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

These are sooo cool!! Snark, that flashlight one is awesome!

I'm headed out tonight and am borrowing a friend's Canond 5d mk3 for this one. Mostly because its awesome and the noiselessness when the ISO is cranked up there is absolutely astounding to me. And because he told me my D80 sucked.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Water Junkie

Equinox, I adore the first and last pictures! Even though it looks like the last picture might have some light reflection going on, I think it adds to the picture alot!

Stardogs and FG, awesome shots! Snark, the flashlight idea is soo neat!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Flashlight idea is really neat - I would LOVE to try my hand at painting with light sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Equinox: I love those shots! And I'm jealous of you getting stars in the background, mine always look either blurry or I have the exposure too long and they move.
Thanks!! I figured I had a great wide angle lens now, so might as well make use of it. I really love the sharpness I get, and that probably helps with getting clearer pictures of the stars. Next time I'll set my focus to infinite, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Equinox, I adore the first and last pictures! Even though it looks like the last picture might have some light reflection going on, I think it adds to the picture alot!
Thank you! Yeah, I actually initially only kept the last picture to show the flare. The Tokina is pretty notorious for the issues with sun flare, and I thought it was a little hilarious that I had problems with moon flare.

But I took it and played around with the crop, orientation, and contrast and thought it looked pretty cool!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I like my first shot a load better! We might even print it off and frame it

Settings: shutter 15 sec, iso 200, f/5.6

Second style.

Settings: shutter 1.6 sec, iso 1250, f/5.6
This is great, you nailed it! You really show the difference of both styles of night shots. I love the first one, as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
1/3s, f1.8, ISO100
This is very pretty! I like it a lot, you really did a great job framing the moon with the branches and natural vignetting, it's very enchanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
This was taken right before midnight

Exposure: 30 seconds Aperture: f/4 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 15mm

Same camera settings:

Another SOOC jpeg shot, again, same settings:

Same settings (Exposure: 30 seconds Aperture: f/4 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 15mm)

Did I mention how much I loved the Tokina?
These are really cool, I especially love the clarity of the first two. The flare totally works for the third shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
These are sooo cool!! Snark, that flashlight one is awesome!

I'm headed out tonight and am borrowing a friend's Canond 5d mk3 for this one. Mostly because its awesome and the noiselessness when the ISO is cranked up there is absolutely astounding to me. And because he told me my D80 sucked.
That's what I shoot with, have fun!!

These are killer guys, I'm going to keep looking and also go back the first 3 weeks as well now. I have a hang over (my tolerance is so low anymore lol) but a couple free hours and I'm loving what I see.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Flashlight idea is really neat - I would LOVE to try my hand at painting with light sometime.
Hehehe It's totally going to be one of the challenges so you will have an excuse!

Snark that was great, I like your improvising!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.