Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

I didn't read the article, but I don't think anybody is losing out to anybody. I see a good mix of people going to breeders and rescues the same as always.

i am emotional with my dogs but not about them. Others should do the same. What does it matter where it comes from? I fully recognize that if I wanted to find a rescue to do what I like to do with dogs, it would take me a long time and a lot of looking, but I could find one. Or I can go to a breeder that is producing what I like and get one there. Much quicker and easier.

It doesn't mean rescue dogs are worthless, at all. If I included pure breed breeders of all dogs in my search it would be the same, I could find a lab to do what I like I'm sure, but I'd have to look long and hard. Going to a place that produces dogs you like, why is that suddenly a bad thing?

Others can try and guilt me about my decision, tell me about the rescue languishing in a shelter that is every bit as good as my dog, but I didn't give it a chance, to that all I can say is none of my dogs will ever end up in a shelter, why do you care where I got them from?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Glutton for Crazy

You're a bad person, clearly.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You're a bad person, clearly.
true, but has nothing to do with the topic
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
true, but has nothing to do with the topic
:rofl:
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Taxiderpy

Just out of curiosity since I know we have horse people on this board, is there such a huge backlash against people with intact horses or pedigreed horses, breeding programs, and breeding horses for the purpose of competing in venues like track racing, barrel racing, etc. ?

Because there are a lot of unwanted horses going to slaughter every year. It seems like something comparable. Just wondering if there's a similar dynamic or not.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Just out of curiosity since I know we have horse people on this board, is there such a huge backlash against people with intact horses or pedigreed horses, breeding programs, and breeding horses for the purpose of competing in venues like track racing, barrel racing, etc. ?

Because there are a lot of unwanted horses going to slaughter every year. It seems like something comparable. Just wondering if there's a similar dynamic or not.
I've been out of horses for a few years, but it is different with horses from what I've seen. There is movement towards 'reputable breeders', or wanting people to only produce foals from parents that have been shown and have good conformation. A horse that has good lines, has been shown (and has placed well), has a good temperament is generally preferred over Suzy's backyard grade horse. Generally horses that are from Suzy have bad conformation and serious horse people know enough to stay away because it affects functionality.

It's very well known though that studs are difficult to manage. Most people have mares and gelding and have to make the conscious decision to pay someone to breed their mare. Unless of course it's the people that keep a stallion out with their mares all the time, or have a foal that grew up and now mom's pregnant.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
Makes me glad I'm not involved in showing anymore. The performance people are so much more relaxed and fun.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I've been out of horses for a few years, but it is different with horses from what I've seen. There is movement towards 'reputable breeders', or wanting people to only produce foals from parents that have been shown and have good conformation. A horse that has good lines, has been shown (and has placed well), has a good temperament is generally preferred over Suzy's backyard grade horse. Generally horses that are from Suzy have bad conformation and serious horse people know enough to stay away because it affects functionality.

It's very well known though that studs are difficult to manage. Most people have mares and gelding and have to make the conscious decision to pay someone to breed their mare. Unless of course it's the people that keep a stallion out with their mares all the time, or have a foal that grew up and now mom's pregnant.
This is true, but unfortunately there are still way too many people breeding their horses just because they have the correct plumbing. It is typically not too difficult to find people with mediocre stallions willing to breed them for a cheap stud fee. Also, a scary number of horse people think color (palomino, dun, buckskin, cremello, paint, pinto, black) + correct plumbing=MUST be bred! Therefore there are many "pretty" colored horses out there that are of very mediocre or poor quality.

Contention over breeding for a specific discipline doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it is with dogs, but it still exists, especially when it come to horses bred specifically for halter (conformation).

I've been to a number if auctions that run kill horses through and it is a sad thing every time. It's especially difficult where I see a particularly friendly and trusting horse, or a standardbred in there...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
I especially like this bit
"We’re AWFUL. We need to stop loving our incestuous little group of perfect dogs and JUST FRELLING LOVE DOGS. We can still own dogs, still show them, still breed them. Go to Hermes and bring home the bag that your heart dreams of. But for pete’s sake, high-five somebody who has a different bag. "

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I do see far less of it in horses. I think there are several reasons.

1) You don't get litters, and the gestation is longer. Yes, there is a surplus of low quality horses, but a mare can only pump out one foal a year. If Joe Nobody decides that he *must* breed his amazingly wonderful mutt because everyone should have one, you could end up with 14 or more puppies. If he breeds his grade mare, you get one.

2) There is so, so much less concern over "pure" lines, at least in the horse world I am in. I've said a million times that dogs would be better off if they were bred like sport horses. Performance matters most; cross breeding is fine if both parents are approved by the registry. The stallion at the barn where I keep Tristan can have his foals registered as Belgian Warmbloods, Dutch Warmbloods, Oldenburgs, and International Sport Horses. You can bring Thoroughbred into a line and still have it "pure". I'm sure in the breed world, there is far more an issue with that, but even associations like the Arabians and Morgans have special classes and awards for half-breeds.

I do think that where you see a similar backlash is in the racing world, where there is so much more money involved and the sheer quantities of horses being produced is enormous. I think some efforts are underway to start to improve the reputation - I know at least one track now holds the former owner/trainer responsible if a horse from their care ends up at a kill auction. The entire industry is in a downslide right now from my understanding, and I think this is just one piece of it.

SillySally also mentioned the halter world (the horse world's version of conformation shows), where it seems to be pretty much the same as the dog world. Lots of talk about people breeding for what wins in the ring, creating horses who are so exaggerated that they can't do their job anymore. Like racing, it's another area where I've read a bit, but don't have any personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt.