Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Island dweller

Oh well that is good news! How about hubby? Any change of heart yet?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Rusty but Trusty

not really, he's still a little sceptical of her. Mack is "his dog" he keeps saying and the girls (Shelby and Hannah) are mine. I think if she does better he will start ot trust her and like her agian. I'm not saying he doesn't like her now but right now he really doesn't want to deal with her because he's scared of her. I think she's a little mad at him though she hasn't gone near him all day today and most of yesterday. She used to be the first to meet him when he got home from work at night.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 AM
BusterLove

yay shelby, hopes she keep s getting better

Old 05-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Felurian

I should have thought of this sooner, Julie. Make sure you don't feed the dogs until AFTER you've eaten. Even ours have to wait until we've eaten, lol. They've learned to wait patiently and not pester us when we're eating. That was a MONUMENTAL hurdle for Shiva, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I usually feed them on my way out the door to work in the morning, they only eat once a day. If they are hungry in the evening I will give them like a cup or cup and a half of food. They will pester us until they are fed, it gets really aggrivating, that's why they are gated (and for Shelby's case tied up) in the kitchen while we eat.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Stanna

I hope all is going well with Shelby

My dog has hip dysplasia, so we've found a way to train/challenge her without too much movement.

We do a bit of clicker training while 'targeting' places or items with a stick. It helps her stretch, think, interact with us etc without too much switching back from sits to downs to walking etc. She tries to figure out what to do to the items we're pointing at for that click. We still do regular training, since she's not totally immobile, but this helps make up for her not having too many activities right now.

Clicker training is oddly easy if you follow a few rules. We did one lesson with a trainer to get us started, and are now using a book by karen pryor called 'Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs'. That's were we got the pointing and 'box playing' ideas to help without too much repetitive movement. It is such a simple method though, that just online references can keep you busy for a good while. I have a feeling it's one of those 'easy to learn, hard to master' type things. I'm very impressed so far.

Oh, another note, pain can influence a dog's temperament alot. Her having to quickly readjust her body weight etc might explain her reacting so drastically to particular behaviors. Glad the collar isn't a contact spot anymore.

She sounds great and i'm glad you are taking so much effort in working with her. kudos to you, she's a lucky dog . -adri
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Yeah Shelby is doing better. Not greatly improved but she's doing better. My husband's noted the improvement, so I think he's willing to take her to the trainer.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thats great! Improvement is improvement no matter how you spin it!!
Good job on your part.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:55 AM
BusterLove

i taught buster to "stop begging" by throwing a ball and praising him when he went away. now he knows that when i tell him to stop begging, walk away.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Active Pup

Thumbs up Some tips which helped me with mine

Hello i have a 19 week huskamute (husky x malamute) who had that same problem, after alot of research i managed to resolve the problem.
Firstly you need to make it clear that you are the alfa male, this can be done in the simplest of ways, e.g. you walk through a door before your dog does, when you come home you do not greet the dog you let the dog come and greet u first.
as for the dog going for you when discipline, when you do try to discipline stand up, make yourself stand taller than your dog, tell firmly NO (no shouting needed) just change your tone. if she the dog still tries to bite grab its snout and hold shut and tell NO again then let go(its not cruel).
It will take a few tries but they will learn. spend 20 minutes/half an hour training every day. the more time you spend with the dog the more they will respect and trust you. You need to be persistant.
I hope this was some help, also after telling them off ignore them for half hour or sometimes up to an hour.
They dont like the fact they are not getting attention and will grovel to you for it.
It worked for me a treat i hope it works well for you.
Good Luck