Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
not meaning to be offensive, and i hope im not, but you all are clearly not blind, as youre typing on a computer/keyboard, so im curious what is a sighted persons use of those kinds of handles? i dont know a whole lot at all about various SD tasks, im afraid
Guide work (not even balance work, although lots of people use them for balance) can be used to help a handler with lots of different perception or mobility impairment issues. For example, I have seizures, and when I do, I sometimes wander a bit aimlessly where I have no idea where I'm going (ie, in to traffic, or in circles). However, if someone guides me by the arm or hand (or I'm holding onto a handle) I'll just follow where ever they take me. So a service dog with mobility would be trained to guide me someplace safe.

They can be trained to go to a car, seek out a public bathroom, guide the handler to a bed or bench, or even find homes. They're often used by handlers with PTSD and various neurological disorders (autism, seizures, Parkinson's, narcolepsy to name a few).

And plenty of blind people have the ability to post on forums and browse the Internet with modern software.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com