Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Behavior Nerd

Default Bridge Handles?

Since we have a number of SD handlers here, I figured I'd ask if any of you have a good source for a medium length, rigid bridge handle that can clip to D rings on an SD vest.

A client of mine's SDiT is ready to start working in full gear and we need a nice bridge handle for her vest, which looks like this:

The dog will be doing light guide work (not mobility), so the handle needs to be comfy for my client to use for longer periods and lay flat when not in use.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

I have NOT found anything that work well or looks like it would work well. I had that same harness for Logan at first, and it just wasn't working. If the dog's going to be doing guide work, it's really best to get a guide harness. I've really, really tried so many other options and they just don't work. I'll be getting a guide harness for Logan soon. Part of the reason that vest doesn't work is that theD rings are too far back. They really ought to be placed very far forwards.

Hilason has some good harnesses for a decent price - currently around $75. If her dog is full grown and you're reasonable confident it won't wash out, it might be worth investing in a custom-made guide harness.

Here are the Hilason ones http://www.hilason.com/category/60/0...+PRODUCTS.aspx

The Bridgeport and Active Dogs guide harnesses are NOT recommended. The Bridgeport one makes some funky pressure points and the leather holding the clips to the handle wears out quickly. The Active Dogs one is just overall weird and the handle has big bulky clips that reduce the useful feedback through the harness.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

What about these?

http://www.workingservicedog.com/Lea...ge_handle.aspx

http://www.workingservicedog.com/Neo...ge_Handle.aspx
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

The first one is the Active Dogs one. You see the size of those snaps compared to the size of the handle? Way too huge. I'm also not entirely sure it's rigid.

The second one is not rigid and absolutely will not work for guiding. A guide handle MUST be rigid. This one also happens to be from Active Dogs (and if you're going to buy something, it's best to buy from the source, not from a 3rd party website that will mark it up even further).

Really, an actual guide harness with an appropriately sized handle is your best bet. Having a handle that's too short WILL affect the handler's gait and cause shoulder, wrist, and back issues. That's part of my problem right now - the handle I'm currently using is not long enough, and I can tell you first hand that after even a short walk my shoulder and back are sore (when they're otherwise not) and my hand is numb.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Kung Pow Fish

not meaning to be offensive, and i hope im not, but you all are clearly not blind, as youre typing on a computer/keyboard, so im curious what is a sighted persons use of those kinds of handles? i dont know a whole lot at all about various SD tasks, im afraid
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
The Monster.

I'll leave the SD questions to those who know more than me, but there are plenty of blind people who use computers to chat on forums, etc, too.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
not meaning to be offensive, and i hope im not, but you all are clearly not blind, as youre typing on a computer/keyboard, so im curious what is a sighted persons use of those kinds of handles? i dont know a whole lot at all about various SD tasks, im afraid
I got the impression she was asking for a client, not herself.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
Not everyone who needs guide work is blind.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Not everyone who needs guide work is blind.
That. Some people have mobility/balance issues and rely on their SD to steady them.
I did miss in the OP the part about the dog doing light guide work. My eyes have been wanky from being on the computer too much the past couple of days.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Behavior Nerd

From the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
A client of mine's SDiT
This is for a client of mine who is visually impaired, but yes, plenty of VI folks use computers.