Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Forum Help and Information


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Best post ever. I love seeing signatures and dog pictures every time I read a thread, but I disabled them a while back because some people have really annoying signatures.

A good conservative limit is 200 pixels high, and if you really must have twelve different tickers in there, 250 is a less conservative limit. The problem is that if you're trying to read a thread and people have crazy signatures, you have to scroll after almost ever post on a laptop or phone.
This is a good idea. Most forums have a pixel height limit on their sigs. 200, 250 max is good. Plenty of space for a short wide sig banner and listing your pets.
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,626
Default

I've had signatures turned off for years because they were so big/flashy/annoying and distracted from the actual posts. Sad, because I really liked the smaller ones.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 908
Default

I like the signatures. It helps me match the user name with the dogs. For new members, it's pretty helpful. If someone is talking about how "Ollie" did something cute and doesn't have pictures to go with the story (which is against the rules, I think? ) I can look at the sig or avatar and remember "Oh right, that's Ollie, the BC". This especially helps with people who have multiple dogs or who don't post all the time.

Not to mention it's nice to see the dogs

But some of them are a bit extreme. I don't think it lags my computer or phone, but I do feel like I do a lot of scrolling through sigs to get to the posts. Maybe stretching the sigs out more horizontally instead of vertically would make it easier?

The only thing in sigs that tends to lag things up is the moving ones. And those aren't too bad.

But I don't understand sigs that don't have the dog(s) in them.
__________________

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/


Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I like the signatures. It helps me match the user name with the dogs. For new members, it's pretty helpful. If someone is talking about how "Ollie" did something cute and doesn't have pictures to go with the story (which is against the rules, I think? ) I can look at the sig or avatar and remember "Oh right, that's Ollie, the BC". This especially helps with people who have multiple dogs or who don't post all the time.

Not to mention it's nice to see the dogs

But some of them are a bit extreme. I don't think it lags my computer or phone, but I do feel like I do a lot of scrolling through sigs to get to the posts. Maybe stretching the sigs out more horizontally instead of vertically would make it easier?

The only thing in sigs that tends to lag things up is the moving ones. And those aren't too bad.

But I don't understand sigs that don't have the dog(s) in them.
Agreed with the first paragraph.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Keechak's Avatar
Keechak Keechak is offline
Aussie Obssessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Default

I am horrible at remembering who has what dogs so I NEED signatures to remember your dog. If you don't have a signature with your dog in it chances are I don't remember your dogs name no matter how often you post lol.

I try and make my own signature as informative as possible while still making it visually appealing(at least I hope) with a bit of useful information on each of my dogs. I actually write every post with the assumption that people can see my signature and have even referred people to look at my signature for information, guess I got to stop that habit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I like the signatures. It helps me match the user name with the dogs. For new members, it's pretty helpful. If someone is talking about how "Ollie" did something cute and doesn't have pictures to go with the story (which is against the rules, I think? ) I can look at the sig or avatar and remember "Oh right, that's Ollie, the BC". This especially helps with people who have multiple dogs or who don't post all the time.
This. Even if you aren't a new member but just have a hard time remembering exactly who owns who.

Also, it seriously blows my mind when people change siggies because it takes me at least a week to recognize who they are with that new siggy. Just sayin'.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
This. Even if you aren't a new member but just have a hard time remembering exactly who owns who.

Also, it seriously blows my mind when people change siggies because it takes me at least a week to recognize who they are with that new siggy. Just sayin'.
Haha, that's me too, but it's not so much changing the sig, it's if they change their avy. Omg. Especially with members I don't know so well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Also, it seriously blows my mind when people change siggies because it takes me at least a week to recognize who they are with that new siggy. Just sayin'.
I had this whole pretty Christmas siggie done and then didn't use it for this very reason lol. Figured after having my dorky little stick figures for so long I probably wouldn't even be able to find my own posts back
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is online now
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,644
Default

Someone tell me if mine is big. Lol I don't have issues on my computer or my phone. But I can't think of ever seeing a signature that has caused me an issue so I don't know maybe I'm missing something.

eta well I'm just getting all self conscious now so I'll just go ahead and make it smaller anyway
__________________
"And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Someone tell me if mine is big. Lol I don't have issues on my computer or my phone. But I can't think of ever seeing a signature that has caused me an issue so I don't know maybe I'm missing something.
I removed mine 'cause it needed updating, but it may have been too big. On my laptop yours is completely fine, on the netbook everything is too big, and on my phone, it works just fine, if it's a little tall. It still loads quickly though, so not lagging my phone down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site