Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Default NHL hockey fights

I'm watching the Toronto Vs. Pittsburg game right now, and the refs allowed a fight between two players go on and on until they tired themselves out. It felt like the fight was planned "entertainment". It was so weird.

I used to be a big NHL fan, but haven't watched a game for a year or so. I don't remember fights ever being allowed to continue much beyond a few punches. This went on and on and on...

Did anyone else see this and find it weird??
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Chihuahua Power!

It's funny that you made this thread, because my husband and I were watching hockey fights on Youtube over the weekend! We went to a game (not NHL- it was a team that's "farmed" from for Minnesota) on Saturday and it was relatively calm!

I know that sometimes the fights do go on, as it's hard (and dangerous) for the refs to interfere. My husband played hockey for a long time and said they'd even have fights between kids that were allowed to continue.

I'm not watching the game you posted about, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was for show. I think people expect fights to happen during games, coupled with the fact that the season just started = reason for staged fights.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Sport Model Pug

Hockey players will fight to get the crowd going again, usually then it's allowed to go on. It's entertainment value, but also when the crowd is cheering you on you will do better. So that's a common reason why fights are started and allowed.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Another reason they will let fights go is if it is a particularly chippy or feisty game and players are getting frustrated and angry. Letting the designated fighters on the team go at it can really release the tension before it becomes a bench clearing brawl. Sometimes it's the only way to get a game back on track. It also breaks the tension and helps prevent guys getting so frustrated that they take a cheap shot and injure someone

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

I think it's gross. As soon as they start fighting, my husband will change the channel. He's played hockey his whole life (still plays in an adult rec league), and thankfully has never seen any value behind the fights.

I agree though--I saw a couple nasty fights when he had sports center on this week.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Another reason they will let fights go is if it is a particularly chippy or feisty game and players are getting frustrated and angry. Letting the designated fighters on the team go at it can really release the tension before it becomes a bench clearing brawl. Sometimes it's the only way to get a game back on track. It also breaks the tension and helps prevent guys getting so frustrated that they take a cheap shot and injure someone
Seems like every other sport has figured out how to deal with frustrations without all out brawls. You don't see punches thrown in soccer/football/basketball nearly like you do in hockey. And when they do, they're fined/suspended/etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I don't know - two 6'3", 250 pound guys wearing pads beating the tar out of each other doesn't make me want to jump between them.

I don't watch hockey anyway, but the fights don't turn me off. It's just part of the game. But then I'm probably jaded by my proximity to Philly when growing up. After all, we beat up Santa Claus
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Sport Model Pug

Like I said its largely entertainment value and to get the crowds going again.

To be honest I don't mind the fights. They're rarely really bad. I would much rather see a fight than see a frustrated dick of a player purposely check someone into one of the dividers on the boxes and fracture their spine...

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Seems like every other sport has figured out how to deal with frustrations without all out brawls. You don't see punches thrown in soccer/football/basketball nearly like you do in hockey. And when they do, they're fined/suspended/etc.
Well that's every other sport. Hockey doesn't typically have guys pulling guns after a game either (cough NBA cough LOL)

Those sports are also a lot slower moving and a lot more stoppages. You get guys going 50mph on ice with BIG bodies to throw around and things can get out of control quickly.

It is what it is. I am not particularly a big fan of the endzone monkey dances after someone scores in football so I just don't watch it. I would rather watch two adults who decided to duke it out and just put it out there than some jackwagon grinding his junk around to stick it in the face of the other team. I think that is more disresPectful than two guys who choose to throw down

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Last edited by sparks19; 01-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Like I said its largely entertainment value and to get the crowds going again.

To be honest I don't mind the fights. They're rarely really bad. I would much rather see a fight than see a frustrated dick of a player purposely check someone into one of the dividers on the boxes and fracture their spine...
This!!!!

Argh I remember watching that game when that happened. Holy crow I was totally flabbergasted.

G.K. Chesterton