Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\
But she didn't. I get what you're saying but I can't believe she's the only one that's ever wished they could pass their dog off as a service dog without actually being one (or actively lying) while being able to get the access. No matter how morally wrong it is.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't wished it many times. Especially when wanting to take public transportation and bring my dog. But just like her I haven't actually done it nor do I plan on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\
The SD handler did not suggest she pretends her dog is a SD.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
But she didn't. I get what you're saying but I can't believe she's the only one that's ever wished they could pass their dog off as a service dog without actually being one (or actively lying) while being able to get the access. No matter how morally wrong it is.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't wished it many times. Especially when wanting to take public transportation and bring my dog. But just like her I haven't actually done it nor do I plan on it.
Exactly. I mean, really, my dog is perfectly fine in public, completely well behaved, doesn't bother anybody or anything. I know he's completely fine in public. I would NEVER lie and say he's a SD (because, well, it's pretty obvious he's NOT, lol. I don't think I've ever seen such a small service dog). But if I was lying, he would not give a bad name to service dogs at all, but of course I wouldn't ever do it. And I understand there are idiots out there who DO ruin it. For all of dog ownership that happens. There's always that one bad apple that ruins it for everybody else.

I'm not one of those people that really cares about bringing my dog to places he's not allowed anyway. I don't need him with me to grocery shop or go to the mall. I do enjoy bringing him a lot of other places with me -- he goes to the bank, he goes to Home Depot, outdoor restaurants, he is usually with me when I'm doing things such as getting my car washed or getting my oil changed, I've never been kicked out of anywhere for having him but that's because I'm not trying to, like, sneak him inside of a 5 star restaurant, or the grocery store, or anything, lol. And he's too big and wouldn't tolerate being thrown into a purse anyway! lol.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with people lying about SD's. AT ALL. But I don't think what flyinsbt was describing is faking anything. She's NOT lying about her dog being a SD, she's just getting a harness that looks similar to what a SD would wear. It may make people feel less threatened, etc. I do get it is all I'm saying.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:

Well yeah I wish I could take my dogs places I can't due to how restricted non-service dog access is in this country. I don't think anyone has an issue with that gripe...or at least I hope not.

But I can understand the negative reaction to someone choosing a piece of equipment for their dog *because* it increases the chance their dog will be mistaken as a SD even though they are not. What possible good could come of that? Either she at some point does go some place dogs aren't allowed because people think the dog is a SD or she is in dog-friendly places being mistaken as a SD...if her dog is well behaved neither hurts actual SD access rights but why do it in the first place?

I'm probably not explaining this well...it's just that I can't see how any good can come of intentionally dressing your dog up to confuse the general public as to whether he is a SD...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I intentionally dress my dogs up like idiots...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I intentionally dress my dogs up like idiots...
Why does this post not contain pictures of monkey-sweater Malinois??? Love monkey-sweater Malinois...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I do as well, it's my favorite. It makes me sad I can't find the short bus costume photo of Sloan as a puppy, it was a fav. Le Sigh.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:

Dogs aren't allowed on public transport where you are?? Like even buses and subways? That sucks! What if people don't have cars and want to take their pets to the park..

IMO that's wrong. Public transport is for.. the public. I get it if private companies like greyhound bus or airlines don't want to deal with pets but public transport should be for the people and their pets IMO

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

I'm probably not explaining this well...it's just that I can't see how any good can come of intentionally dressing your dog up to confuse the general public as to whether he is a SD...
I guess I was reading it more as she bought it on a whim because of that but never actually followed through with it? Not that she actually ended up having her wear it to confuse people. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Dogs aren't allowed on public transport where you are?? Like even buses and subways? That sucks! What if people don't have cars and want to take their pets to the park..

IMO that's wrong. Public transport is for.. the public. I get it if private companies like greyhound bus or airlines don't want to deal with pets but public transport should be for the people and their pets IMO
It sucks. I mean, I would love to be able to use the train to go downtown with the dogs but I can't. And I do live in the suburbs so there isn't really any public transportation (other than the train) but I don't believe in the city you can either.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

And now that this thread has gone WAY off topic... lol
Yep, that's sort of my problem too. I don't see anyone for my issues, and I'm not sure how I'd go about finding someone who would be willing to give me the needed note. I do actually need to see someone, though, so I may get around to at least asking. Just having the dogs was enough to manage my issues for awhile, but not so much these days.

Just in case, though, when Pi wears his Julius K9 harness, he's required to be well-behaved instead of me encouraging his usual rowdiness. An ESD isn't required to have any particular training, as you know, but I wouldn't want to have a dog in that sort of public capacity, which might be mistaken for a SD, behaving badly. So, no pulling on the leash, or other boisterous behavior. Which means I hardly ever use it, since if I do, I have to enforce criteria.

Most of the people I know with these harnesses use them for agility, because they're easy on and off, but I won't, because I like to let him be rowdy at agility, and I do want him to associate wearing that harness with being calm and well-behaved. Which turned out to be handy this past weekend, when I had to walk across an icy parking lot with him.