Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,218
Default

Hm... seems no place that sells them ships to Canada without charges more than the cost of the harness itself :/
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that bothered. You know how we all complain about irresposnible pet owners making it harder for us to take our dogs someplace? Doing something like that is just going to make it harder for legit service dogs to have access to places, even with the ADA laws.
The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that. But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM
MicksMom's Avatar
MicksMom MicksMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Warren Co, NJ
Posts: 3,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that...
I'm sorry. I mis-understood your post. The way I read it, it sounded like you were trying to pass Pi off as a service dog.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
...But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.
Understandably. I would be miffed, too. I honestly think there are too many dogs passed off as service dogs that either have no business being a SD or the owners are saying they are just to get the dog where dogs aren't allowed (or in the case of someone I was told about- the dog not having to fly cargo to an obedience competition.
__________________
My Labrador Retriever is Smarter Than the President
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
I'm sorry. I mis-understood your post. The way I read it, it sounded like you were trying to pass Pi off as a service dog.



Understandably. I would be miffed, too. I honestly think there are too many dogs passed off as service dogs that either have no business being a SD or the owners are saying they are just to get the dog where dogs aren't allowed (or in the case of someone I was told about- the dog not having to fly cargo to an obedience competition.
I won't call him a service dog, I won't put service dog labels on the harness, I won't buy a service dog vest. But in theory, I'm not opposed to letting him be mistaken for a service dog in places where they just don't want a lot of rowdy public dogs. Not restaurants, grocery stores, etc; things like outdoor festivals. As I said, though, I haven't made any effort to take him to those places, it's just a theory.

So far, when I've flown, my dog has flown cargo, though I'm thinking of getting Pirate declared an emotional support dog so he can be with me. I'd have to get a doctor's note for that, though, so it's not something I could lie about. Anyway, if I do, I'll probably get ESD labels for the harness. I don't want to put anything on him that says "service dog", because he's not. He is not trained to perform any tasks to help me.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post

So far, when I've flown, my dog has flown cargo, though I'm thinking of getting Pirate declared an emotional support dog so he can be with me. I'd have to get a doctor's note for that, though, so it's not something I could lie about. Anyway, if I do, I'll probably get ESD labels for the harness. I don't want to put anything on him that says "service dog", because he's not. He is not trained to perform any tasks to help me.
I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

And now that this thread has gone WAY off topic... lol
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

And now that this thread has gone WAY off topic... lol
I'm pretty sure ESDs don't have public access rights, though I could be wrong. So in an emergency (I'm assuming you mean somebody asks you to leave with the dog), him being an ESD will do nothing.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

ESD have plane rights and some airlines now allow pets no matter the label. Otherwise ESD do not hold any access rights, I believe.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Julee's Avatar
Julee Julee is offline
dogstrong
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kent, CT
Posts: 3,020
Default

^ That. More later.
__________________
If it makes you happy, and makes you proud, it's a pretty good investment.



Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Julee's Avatar
Julee Julee is offline
dogstrong
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kent, CT
Posts: 3,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that. But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.
Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\
__________________
If it makes you happy, and makes you proud, it's a pretty good investment.



Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\
This!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site