Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Ear infection?

We've been having a bit of an issue with Talon's ears. We noticed he was shaking and digging at his ears. I'm super ashamed of this, but I haden't cleaned them out even once So I realized at that point they must be disgusting. Cleaned them with a vinegar solution and there was a ton (and I mean a ton!) or red/brown crusty coming out! EW!

Ears really didn't smell that bad, a little musty but nothing super abnormal. I wasn't seeing any discharge coming from his ears (other than the red crusties I got out from cleaning) so I figured just cleaning them should help.

Well, once a day didn't work, uped to twice a day. Nope, still nasty. So I broke down and got some actual ear cleaner and though I think it's slightly better, it's still rather nasty!

Any ideas?

Obviously my next step is a vet visit. We were planning on going as soon as David got up here, which we thought would be today, but unfortunately it looks like that's not going to happen.

I'd prefer to vet when David got here, as we don't have a regular vet yet and he is bringing the monies lol I do have a recomendation for vets a little ways away, but any suggestions?

*edit* edited to add when you just look inside his ears they look fine. It'd down inside the canal there is the nastiness. And his ears seem less bothersome to him.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ear infection or mites would be my guess

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Ear infection or mites would be my guess
You know I really didn't even think about mites. *sigh*
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If it turns out to be dirty ears instead of some kind of actual issue, I wholeheartedly recommend the Blue Power Solution. You can google it and find the recipe, or the company K9 Liquid Health now makes and sells it. That stuff works miracles.

Frodo used to get chronic ear infections if his kibble had a lot of potatoes in it, so diet could be another possibility.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
If it turns out to be dirty ears instead of some kind of actual issue, I wholeheartedly recommend the Blue Power Solution. You can google it and find the recipe, or the company K9 Liquid Health now makes and sells it. That stuff works miracles.

Frodo used to get chronic ear infections if his kibble had a lot of potatoes in it, so diet could be another possibility.
Possibly who knows. Art does great on the food they are on now, maybe we will have to switch. I'll have to find a new dog store, right now it's Petsmart as it's the only thing I know where they are lol

Now that I think about it, he does have a tiny bit of dandruff, and his fur isn't as nice as it use to be. *sigh* Now I really need to find a new dog food store >_<
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

I'd get him to a vet as soon as you can. An untreated ear infection can cause permanent hearing loss. The red/brown crusties could be either mites or infection but if it's not clearing up... get him in!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Crazy Dog Nerd

Ear mites are incredibly common in cats, but very very uncommon in dogs. If Talon's a dog my bet would be more in the realm of ear infection. Any sort of "yeasty" odor to the ear(s)? Poor dude! Hope he feels better soon.
The Token Border Collie
Potion (2.5)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I'd get him to a vet as soon as you can. An untreated ear infection can cause permanent hearing loss. The red/brown crusties could be either mites or infection but if it's not clearing up... get him in!
Pretty much you summed up what my boyfriend just said. He said it should already be clearing up, time for vet darn. I reallywanted to wait so we could check out a few vets first, but I guess it's going to be a crap shoot and hope we get a good one at this point >_<

It's funny (kinda) he said we would have a pair, one blind and one deaf dog lol Hear no evil and see no evil, then we would just need a "speak no evil" dog. Ok I know, bad sense of humor LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawsibleDogs View Post
Ear mites are incredibly common in cats, but very very uncommon in dogs. If Talon's a dog my bet would be more in the realm of ear infection. Any sort of "yeasty" odor to the ear(s)? Poor dude! Hope he feels better soon.
The smell is the first thing I checked and it really doesn't smell that bad. I've smelled ears of dogs with infections before, and his smells just a tad musty but not bad at all. It's barely there, so who knows.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawsibleDogs View Post
uncommon, yes. Not unheard of. Especially from a puppy that came from a rescue/shelter (IIRC). We had to deal with a break out while I was doing my husbandry rotation in school.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13