Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I've been doing the sulfate free thing for 3 months now, and don't notice any benefits My hair looks way oilier/grosser at the end of the day than it did with "regular" shampoo. Makes me sad, like I'm failing. How long should it take to see a difference?

I have very fine, stick straight hair that is falling out rapidly I was hoping the sulfate free shampoo would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The only difference is that if I shower in the morning, by the end of the day my hair is gross and I have to wash it again if I have plans to go out. I try to do conditioner only on the weekends, but ughhhh only if I am not leaving the house, else it's SO OILY and dirty looking.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I've been doing the sulfate free thing for 3 months now, and don't notice any benefits My hair looks way oilier/grosser at the end of the day than it did with "regular" shampoo. Makes me sad, like I'm failing. How long should it take to see a difference?

I have very fine, stick straight hair that is falling out rapidly I was hoping the sulfate free shampoo would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The only difference is that if I shower in the morning, by the end of the day my hair is gross and I have to wash it again if I have plans to go out. I try to do conditioner only on the weekends, but ughhhh only if I am not leaving the house, else it's SO OILY and dirty looking.
Honestly sulfate free doesn't do much for me other than make my hair softer. I use it because I feel like regular shampoo strips out too much from my hair. I really think you'd have seen a difference by now if you were going to. I saw the biggest benefit in actually scrubbing my scalp (I CANNOT find the link about it to save my life, I think it was on the Long Hair Community forums). It's really just using your fingertips (not your nails) to rub your scalp with shampoo or conditioner for a couple minutes. You should see results immediately - might be worth a try?

ETA: I also have super fine hair. Not stick straight though, I can get curls out of it if I have the time/inclination (I usually do not).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013

Last edited by Taqroy; 01-22-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I have thin and baby fine hair, too, and I just looked like a walking greaseball after 8 weeks. I went back to regular shampoos, and I can skip a day if I'm just staying in (otherwise I have to wash every day...but I can pull it up that second day without it looking too bad).
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Honestly sulfate free doesn't do much for me other than make my hair softer. I use it because I feel like regular shampoo strips out too much from my hair. I really think you'd have seen a difference by now if you were going to. I saw the biggest benefit in actually scrubbing my scalp (I CANNOT find the link about it to save my life, I think it was on the Long Hair Community forums). It's really just using your fingertips (not your nails) to rub your scalp with shampoo or conditioner for a couple minutes. You should see results immediately - might be worth a try?

ETA: I also have super fine hair. Not stick straight though, I can get curls out of it if I have the time/inclination (I usually do not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I have thin and baby fine hair, too, and I just looked like a walking greaseball after 8 weeks. I went back to regular shampoos, and I can skip a day if I'm just staying in (otherwise I have to wash every day...but I can pull it up that second day without it looking too bad).
That makes me feel better! I felt like I was a freak of nature. I miss my good smelling, cheap, chemical laden shampoos!

I will try massaging my scalp more. I tend to scritch it with my fingernails, but I will attempt to avoid that and see what happens.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I am making my first step to sulfate free tomorrow. I bought Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo today (didn't need conditioner yet) and we will see how it goes.

Mainly I want something healthier because I have been working out pretty much every day, which means showers every day.

Right now I use Suave which is like $1.06, so the smaller size and $6.99 pricetag was a bit to swallow!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
Not exactely no poo. But question ,
My son has curly dry hair. How to help it not frizz?
I have never had to problem and don't know where to start.
He is 20 and finally is growing out of liking a fro.

Help please.
Go as chemical free as possible. Absolutely no brushing when it's dry... but it's okay to do when it's wet. Also another one that most people don't know is you shouldn't use regular terry cloth towels on curly hair. They do make like, special microfiber towels for curly hair, but even a 100% cotton t-shirt can be used. Yep, it sounds weird - but the little fibers in regular towels cause curly hair to frizz.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Go as chemical free as possible. Absolutely no brushing when it's dry... but it's okay to do when it's wet. Also another one that most people don't know is you shouldn't use regular terry cloth towels on curly hair. They do make like, special microfiber towels for curly hair, but even a 100% cotton t-shirt can be used. Yep, it sounds weird - but the little fibers in regular towels cause curly hair to frizz.
Amen on the no brushing.
Breaks my heart when I see people with curly hair brushing their hair with bristle brushes when dry. YOU ARE GOING TO END UP WITH A FRIZZY FRO!!

Use a comb, work/detangle your hair wet (dry with cotton tshirt like SP said), add some anti friz serum/leave in conditioner and don't TOUCH IT

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I learned a long time ago not to do that lol. If I have to re-brush my hair I always always wet it first. Like I said I had this awesome stuff from Gernier (spelling???) fruitis that comes in a stand-up bottle & it's called "anti humidity styling cream" strong hold & it's 98% naturally derived. It has no scent or artificial perfumes & it washes out easily (since I wash with conditioner) but if I don't wash my hair for a day or two it doesn't cause aNy build up & if I don't wash it out (like if its too cold to shower or something ) then it lasts a couple of days before I have to put more, all I have to do is wet my hair to activate it.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Amen on the no brushing.
Breaks my heart when I see people with curly hair brushing their hair with bristle brushes when dry. YOU ARE GOING TO END UP WITH A FRIZZY FRO!!

Use a comb, work/detangle your hair wet (dry with cotton tshirt like SP said), add some anti friz serum/leave in conditioner and don't TOUCH IT
Yeah I didn't really grasp the "no brushing" thing until about... oh... a year or two ago??? I thought my hair was "wavy" not curly, and that therefore I could brush it. Well I couldn't, which partly explains why my hair was a disaster the first 19 years of my life LOL.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I also have rather thick hair so I "shed" a lot. My hair (as far as I can tell) never seems thinner for it, but I always end up having to clean out my brush every few days & what comes out is a big ole hair ball :/.

OH likes to tease me about losing my hair but like I said it never "looks" thinner (except on certain times in my cycle when it will at times get a tad thinner ... But it always bounces right back) I take a collagen supplement & everything & am a generally healthy person.

I guess it's just me lol.