Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
THIS!! If the owners of the business don't care, then why should the SD owners? If the dogs are not being passed off as SD, then what is the big deal?

I love that the TC area has a group dedicated to letting people know where dogs can go in stores in the cities. A lot of the places are like cell phone stores and the like, and that's awesome! Means I am way more likely to go into those businesses because I can bring a dog. Well, not that Frodo would go to non-pet store places, but Siri sure will be dragged along!
Well apparently, people drag little toy dogs around into places where they really aren't allowed, and the staff doesn't want to say anything (because the customer is always right), and the dogs aren't necessarily housebroken, etc. So that's kind of an issue. And the thing is, if you brought a bigger dog in, someone usually would stop you, so it's a bit unfair.

That said, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. When I was in Orlando with Tess, I went to a cafe that a friend suggested, which had a dog menu. And my dog was allowed on the patio. I very much doubt she was allowed in the cafe itself, but I took her in anyway to place our order, because she was really thirsty and I wanted to get her water fast. And the very nice person who served us didn't tell me my dog couldn't be in there, but I'm sure she wasn't supposed to be. I didn't try to claim her as a service dog or anything, I just took her in, ordered food and water, and allowed us to be shepherded back to sit on the patio.

As to the show, haven't watched it, but it sounds silly. And definitely like a poor representation of service dogs. Service dogs aren't supposed to be allowed to do anything disruptive of business. I think other customers might be disturbed at seeing a dog eating from a fork in the restaurant, so that would be disruptive.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Well apparently, people drag little toy dogs around into places where they really aren't allowed, and the staff doesn't want to say anything (because the customer is always right), and the dogs aren't necessarily housebroken, etc. So that's kind of an issue. And the thing is, if you brought a bigger dog in, someone usually would stop you, so it's a bit unfair.

That said, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. When I was in Orlando with Tess, I went to a cafe that a friend suggested, which had a dog menu. And my dog was allowed on the patio. I very much doubt she was allowed in the cafe itself, but I took her in anyway to place our order, because she was really thirsty and I wanted to get her water fast. And the very nice person who served us didn't tell me my dog couldn't be in there, but I'm sure she wasn't supposed to be. I didn't try to claim her as a service dog or anything, I just took her in, ordered food and water, and allowed us to be shepherded back to sit on the patio.

As to the show, haven't watched it, but it sounds silly. And definitely like a poor representation of service dogs. Service dogs aren't supposed to be allowed to do anything disruptive of business. I think other customers might be disturbed at seeing a dog eating from a fork in the restaurant, so that would be disruptive.
Sorry, I wasn't talking about people who bring dogs in where they aren't allowed. That is WRONG no matter the size of the dog. I'm talking about places where the owners don't care (HomeDepot, many Verizon stores, etc.) where the company is saying it's fine to bring your dogs in. And there are still SD people who think that is tarnishing the SD name and affecting the way people see SD.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I don't think that's the issue here. The issue is that Hercules is an SD and he's being allowed to do things SDs shouldn't be allowed to do. He gets away with it because he's famous.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
They have issues getting around as it is, and tend to be easy to knock off balance.
What a blanket statement. There are all different kinds of dwarfism, each having their own disabilities. One kind, for example, though I don't know the name, the person has no issues with mobility at all -- they are exactly like a person not affected, except their body is smaller, yet proportionate.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 01-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakoda View Post
he also advocates the stealing of people's pit bulls if it is deemed warranted by him and his cronies and anyone doing the stealing. I.e. Dog on a chain? Should be stolen (aka "rescued") and given to someone who would really love it (never mind the dog was only out there for 30 minutes...)

he's a scamming piece of scum, and he's doing just as much damage to the dogs and their reputation as some no-good gang-banging thug.
thank you

My Polyvore
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Sorry, I wasn't talking about people who bring dogs in where they aren't allowed. That is WRONG no matter the size of the dog. I'm talking about places where the owners don't care (HomeDepot, many Verizon stores, etc.) where the company is saying it's fine to bring your dogs in. And there are still SD people who think that is tarnishing the SD name and affecting the way people see SD.
I think you must be reading a different thread. NOWHERE have I said that taking your pet dog into places of business that allow dogs is bad or effects SD handlers in any way. I think that is awesome, and a great way to socialize your dog, as long as the dog is well behaved and not aggressive in any way. Taking your pet dog into places of business and fraudulently claiming the dog is a SD is what effects those of us who use SDs.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I don't think that's the issue here. The issue is that Hercules is an SD and he's being allowed to do things SDs shouldn't be allowed to do. He gets away with it because he's famous.
This. He is giving SDs and their handlers a bad name with his poor etiquette.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
What a blanket statement. There are all different kinds of dwarfism, each having their own disabilities. One kind, for example, though I don't know the name, the person has no issues with mobility at all -- they are exactly like a person not affected, except their body is smaller, yet proportionate.
There is a girl that has dwarfism in my rock climbing class
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm not sure if its covered yet but it's not uncommon to give a service dog a seat if A) the dog doesn't fit on the floor or B) the plane has room and the flight attendants don't mind.

Otherwise... The guy sounds like a adrenaline junky and a punk. Didn't he get into pit bulls to prove a point when they scared him?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
This is what I was trying to say.