Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

Thanks ma'am!

So, how many of you chose not to get your son circ'ed and dealt with family issues because of it?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Top Dog

What do you mean by family issues? Do you mean concerns about the son's penis looking different from his father's? Or just commentary on family members about why you should have circumcised?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Bite Club

36 weeks!

36weeks by Holga-Jen, on Flickr

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
What do you mean by family issues? Do you mean concerns about the son's penis looking different from his father's? Or just commentary on family members about why you should have circumcised?
Liiiiiike shouting matches in the living room because they think you're going to raise your baby to be a "freak".

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Liiiiiike shouting matches in the living room because they think you're going to raise your baby to be a "freak".
I wouldn't even entertain discussion about it if they are being like that. Not their decision at all, so the subject is closed!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Well personally for me, any "family" member who spoke to me like that wouldn't be considered family (or given the opportunity to share their opinion on child rearing) for very long.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Behavior Nerd

Oh that's ridiculous. I'd not even try to reason with that person - "this is not up for discussion." Walk out of the room if necessary. Heck, if the person won't be changing your baby's diaper there's no reason it even needs to be brought up, ever.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

Yeah. They're my parents, and I'm living with them, so I have little choice. I told them the subject isn't up for debate and that's when they came unglued. My decisions to not raise the baby in a church, not have the baby baptized, not have the baby circumcised, to not spank, to not allow much TV, to feed only organic foods and other decisions like that were brought up. Blah.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Yeah. They're my parents, and I'm living with them, so I have little choice. I told them the subject isn't up for debate and that's when they came unglued. My decisions to not raise the baby in a church, not have the baby baptized, not have the baby circumcised, to not spank, to not allow much TV, to feed only organic foods and other decisions like that were brought up. Blah.
You do have a choice, don't let them bully you. Just tell them that it can't be put back on later, but if he wants to have to procedure done when he's old enough to say so, he's free to have it done.

My inlaws flipped out like that. They cold called me every few minutes over the course of severals days to scream at us over the phone. I found it quite disturbing that my MIL was so obsessed with her grandson's genitals actually. It got to where the constant phoning was really creepy and the only argument she could think of was that he'll be embarrassed in the locker room. Which isn't even a good argument because about half of boys aren't having it done now.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

The thing is...when your parents were born, and when you were born, MOST baby boys were circumcised in the US. And although there were never any conclusive studies about medical benefits, and circumcision has always been done for religious, cosmetic, sexual, or hygienic (before it was possible to bathe daily) reasons, doctors DID (incorrectly) tell our parents it was 'healthier' or 'safer' to get it done.

Ask your parents why they think the baby should be circumcised. They might think he wants to look like everyone else, and as Romy said, now circumcision rates are about 50% and declining. They might think it's "cleaner", which was a reason for circumcision during periods long ago in history when it wasn't possible to bathe regularly. They might think it prevents infection or is safer, which is just downright a myth, and having them read any information on circumcision should inform them otherwise.