Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Kalyxa's Avatar
Kalyxa Kalyxa is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 480
Default

I watch it when I'm home and it's on, but it is so over the top that I just can't handle it sometimes. The last episode I saw was one where these photographers wanted to put ketchup all over the dog's face to make him look vicious and Shorty was outside on a phone call or something.

As a side note, if there is no registry for service dogs, what protects people with legitimate service animals? I always assumed you needed a doctor's note or something.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,499
Default

So who writes these service dog rules that say a dog can't sit where you want it to, or eat what you give it?

Just out of curiosity? I assume there's a regulatory body saying things must be like that?

Otherwise.... why does anyone care? As long as the dog is doing it's job, friendly and no one around you minds?
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the USA no one can ask for proof of legitimacy of service animals, and none has to be displayed. Other countries have different rules.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

The job of a service dog is to assist its owner in tasks they need help with to lead as normal a life as possible, in order to do that the dog needs to have access that pets do not, thus they need to learn that they do not put their noses in the meat at the super market, they need to lay under tables at restaurants and be quiet and respectful, this training is what has allowed service dogs access to public places. It's 'handlers' like Shorty who make it hard for those with properly trained service animals.

If I were in a restaurant and saw that I would question the legitimacy of the service animal, it's unprofessional.

People that bring their pets to grocery stores and malls make me nuts as well, for the record, leave fluffy at home when you go to La Senza to buy bras, she doesn't care, take her when you are going to the pet store. It makes me wish I had Gage, 170lbs, with me so I could question why their little dog is allowed, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Cali Mae's Avatar
Cali Mae Cali Mae is offline
Little dog, big voice
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 864
Default

I don't think I've ever watched the show before, however, Shorty deRossi was on Andersen and I really enjoyed what he had to say about the breed. They also had a couple whose adopted pitbull is a service dog talk from the audience. The last ten minutes of the episode was about the breed and the various misconceptions, including that the owners are the problem, not the dog.
__________________

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
The job of a service dog is to assist its owner in tasks they need help with to lead as normal a life as possible, in order to do that the dog needs to have access that pets do not, thus they need to learn that they do not put their noses in the meat at the super market, they need to lay under tables at restaurants and be quiet and respectful, this training is what has allowed service dogs access to public places. It's 'handlers' like Shorty who make it hard for those with properly trained service animals.

If I were in a restaurant and saw that I would question the legitimacy of the service animal, it's unprofessional.

People that bring their pets to grocery stores and malls make me nuts as well, for the record, leave fluffy at home when you go to La Senza to buy bras, she doesn't care, take her when you are going to the pet store. It makes me wish I had Gage, 170lbs, with me so I could question why their little dog is allowed, lol.
Well I find it bizarre any Tom dick or Harry can train a dog, give it a vest and call it a service dog. If people want rules and regulations, then they need to regulate what is and isn't a service dog.


Otherwise, I can't see how anyone can comment on what a person chooses to do with theirs, as there are no rules.


I think handing a dog food from a table is slightly different to a dog nosing food counters, and sitting on a plane next to a person is perfectly acceptable if the airline allows it, seeing as its their rules.


If there are no regulations, you can't exactly complain.
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

There is no certification or registry. In order to have a service dog, however, you need to have a documented disability and the dog needs to perform tasks which help mitigate that disability. In some situations, such as flying in a plane, or living in no-pets housing, a doctor's note is required.

The Department of Justice handles cases of fraud and it is illegal to claim your dog is a service dog, if it isn't.

There ARE laws regarding service dogs, just no national registry.

Service Dogs are legally defined as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." It also says right in the ADA that "Service animals are working animals, not pets." How do you expect people to take your working dog seriously if you feed your dog table scraps and let him sit next to you at a restaurant? And how on earth do you not see how unsanitary it is for a dog to be seated at the table?

The dog also may not alter the environment that it is in. By sitting in a train seat or airlplane seat, the dog is taking that seat from someone else, and, because you are not allowed to charge people with disabilities extra because they requre a SD, that means lost revenue for the business. That is altering their environment.

For more information about SDs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/

Just a note: Service Dogs do not have rights, the disabled handlers who require service dogs to help them lead a normal life do. The ADA was created to protect people with disabilities. Anyone who says something like "My dog has a right to be here," is either a faker or someone who doesn't know the law well. When someone handles their dog poorly, it threatens the rights of all of us who require service dogs. "Shorty" handles his dog poorly in public.


This message took 9 refreshes of reCaptcha to post.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,729
Default

I'm nervous to post this, but I really do not believe someone of his means should have dogs of that size, and multiple dogs of that size as well living together. Taking the dogs out in public, doing therapy work I think...I believe someone needs to be able to control their animals in the case of any event. I hold the same belief for seniors, children, etc...you need to be able to control your dogs (ESPECIALLY if you are taking them out in public).

In the first season a dog got away from them and I stopped watching, really.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
There is no certification or registry. In order to have a service dog, however, you need to have a documented disability and the dog needs to perform tasks which help mitigate that disability. In some situations, such as flying in a plane, or living in no-pets housing, a doctor's note is required.

The Department of Justice handles cases of fraud and it is illegal to claim your dog is a service dog, if it isn't.

There ARE laws regarding service dogs, just no national registry.

Service Dogs are legally defined as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." It also says right in the ADA that "Service animals are working animals, not pets." How do you expect people to take your working dog seriously if you feed your dog table scraps and let him sit next to you at a restaurant? And how on earth do you not see how unsanitary it is for a dog to be seated at the table?

The dog also may not alter the environment that it is in. By sitting in a train seat or airlplane seat, the dog is taking that seat from someone else, and, because you are not allowed to charge people with disabilities extra because they requre a SD, that means lost revenue for the business. That is altering their environment.

For more information about SDs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/

Just a note: Service Dogs do not have rights, the disabled handlers who require service dogs to help them lead a normal life do. The ADA was created to protect people with disabilities. Anyone who says something like "My dog has a right to be here," is either a faker or someone who doesn't know the law well. When someone handles their dog poorly, it threatens the rights of all of us who require service dogs. "Shorty" handles his dog poorly in public.


This message took 9 refreshes of reCaptcha to post.
Thank you for explaining that to me more clearly, I know some countries you have to have id for the dog and have it displayed at all times the dog is working.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,764
Default The bedskor x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'm nervous to post this, but I really do not believe someone of his means should have dogs of that size, and multiple dogs of that size as well living together. Taking the dogs out in public, doing therapy work I think...I believe someone needs to be able to control their animals in the case of any event. I hold the same belief for seniors, children, etc...you need to be able to control your dogs (ESPECIALLY if you are taking them out in public).

In the first season a dog got away from them and I stopped watching, really.

While I don't like the show, and several things about the show and agree with you on that aspect... I have to respectfully disagree with the generalizations unless of course I misunderstood your statement 'a man of his means'

I walk and train with several dogs that out weigh me, and are MUCH stronger than I am in size, but that's not to say I can't handle them. I believe I saw the episode your talking about, and I agree with you - if dogs get loose in their care they're obviously not under control... but I disagree with the generalization of little people having 'that breed' and I so think they have the breeds best interests at heart at the end of the day. And I do think the episodes are totally staged.
And also seniors or even children, I have an 80 woman who manages her dog much better than my 30 year old neighbor eeee gads and also the 4H children at our training center are just mind boggling with what they can do and one of them is around 6 I think

__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site