Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Raw fed puppy chewing/itchy

I have a 6 mo old American Bully that was from a kibble fed dam, and weaned onto kibble. I switched her to raw about 3 months ago, for a while grocery store meat (some with "plumping" solutions, sadly) but for the last 3 weeks shes been on organic meat only, no solutions or hormones, no corn fed, no gmo. She gets chicken backs, chicken leg quarters, lamb muscle meat, turkey hearts, chicken liver, and beef liver. No supplements as I dont have any (money is extremely tight). Shes been VERY itchy lately... I guess since I switched her from kibble to raw. I initially figured it was the solution and chemicals in the store bought meat, so didnt think much of it. But lately its a bit worse, and shes getting some noticable hair loss around her hocks and stifles, where she chews. She LOOKS fantastic, hard thick coat, shiny, great breath, great poops. Shes just ITCHY.

What can I try to get rid of this? I have access to ACV (not the good stuff, its filtered and pasturized) and coconut oil (the good stuff, virgin cold pressed etc). Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Resident fainting goat

Salmon oil worked wonders for the itchies around here! You might want to try adding some fish/salmon oil or just maybe adding some fish to see if it would help
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Twin 2

Have you ruled out fleas or mange like sarcoptic mange?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Kung Pow Fish

whoops didnt realize there were replies! No fleas, I once-over my dogs thoroughly every day and have seen nothing, and my other dog isnt itching nearly as bad, and SHE has a flea bite allergy so she would flare up like a balloon on fire if there was so much as one flea in the entire house. Mange? Nope havent ruled that out. dont have funds for a vet at this time, sad to say. another forum im on suggested i give them both salmon oil and coconut oil every day for a month and see if that helps
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

I would add the coconut oil to her diet for sure, and salmon if you can. Also, take a cup of hot water and melt some coconut oil in it, about a tablespoon or two, and then when it's cooled off a bit mix in some shampoo (I use liquid soap from another poster), and bath her with the mixture. If you put in two tablespoons of coconut oil she may come out looking greasy, but it may help soothe her skin. The other thing to do would be to work the oil into her skin but the shampoo trick works well here.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

Is the itching anywhere specific or is it all over?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Kung Pow Fish

its just on her stifles and hocks, and its actually gotten A LOT worse. shes nearly bald in those areas, more than 1/3 of her back legs are bald and tehres scabs. the salmon oil and coconut oil are not helping, and at this point I dont have the money to be buying 40 lb cases of various expensive meats to find one that she doesnt have issues with (currently shes on chicken, turkey, and lamb). Chicken being the typical culprit, Im going to pull her off raw and get her on Acana, either the pacifica, or one of the limited ingredient ones, maybe the lamb and apple.

Unless somebody has a better idea, thats my next step
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

Did the itching begin immediately after the transition to raw? Is the hair loss from the chewing or did the hair fall out?

Have her on just one protein for a while and see if the itching subsides.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Are you sure its not contact allergies? Since its so localized especially?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Resident fainting goat

I say do what you gotta do, try kibble for a while. It's totally understandable that you can't go out and buy some kangaroo to find out what the allergy is to.

Sometimes RAW, or at least the RAW that we are capable of providing (chicken, turkey, cow) just doesn't work for some dogs.

Nobody is going to fault you for not going on a safari to hunt down some wild boar to feed your dog lol