Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Could they build him an outdoor enclosure? With indoor access or some kind of shelter of course. That way he could be safe outside tho declawed.

My blog: The DIY Dog
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM
such sights to show you

I second the idea of adding a second box. It can be right next to the first one. There are definitely pee boxes and poop boxes at my house, I don't know why they care but far be it from me to try to fathom what goes on in the mind of a cat sometimes. I also think the Feliway diffuser is a good idea.

Having said that... if you want a cat and certainly if you want this cat, then by all means take him in. But don't take him purely out of guilt... BTDT and it isn't the same kind of relationship as one that doesn't start under duress IME.

ETA: Also, regarding outdoors/declawed... if his alternative is to be euthanized then being an indoor/outdoor cat without claws is not ideal but maybe not the end of the world. Nothing ideal about the situation as it stands, anyway.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I have also read that declawed cats can have behavioral probs from the procedure is that true? Because "declawing" is really amputation of the 3rd phalanx of the cats food.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Top Dog

I will definitely recommend getting another litterbox for him. Until we/I/they make a decision, he's going to take up residence in the spare bathroom in the basement because that floor is easier to clean than the carpet.

This did all start almost as soon as they brought the first baby home (two years ago now). He had never peed or pooped outside the litterbox before. It's very intermittent but she said it happens at least twice a week now.
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
If they do euth, they should go with him to the vets' - he doesn't need the added stress of handling by strangers at the end of his life.
I absolutely agree with trying 2 litter boxes first....worked for more than one person I know.

And I also agree STRONGLY with the above from stardogs. Not only is it wrong for the cat, it's very wrong of your friend. IMO that = dumping in a kill shelter and walking off so you don't have to witness
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My mom was in a very similar situation with her cat, Pheobe.

Pheobe liked my mom. She did not like anyone else. She had attacked my siblings on numerous occasions and drawn major blood (and that was with no front claws). She was declawed, but even if she hadn't been, she would not have been a good canidate for an outdoor cat. She was much too flighty, and she hated other cats. She also hated dogs. She tolerated Chloe, but that was it.

She and Apollo got along fairly well. But when the outdoor cats came in to being, she became extremely stressed out. She would constantly try to attack them through the windows, even when they were just sitting there.

On top of it all, she hard recurrent UTIs that caused her to urinate all over the house. When she was on medication she was fine, but as soon as she stopped the meds she would start peeing everywhere again. It may have been stones, but mom couldn't afford to have them surgically removed if that was the case. It got to the point where trying to give her the pills twice a day was stressing her out beyond belief. The last few months of her life she essentially lived under my mom's bed.

Mom decided to euthanize, and I can't fault her for it. Yes, all of Pheobe's issues were "treatable"...but not feasible. I think mom did the best thing she could have done in the situation: she stopped Pheobe from being in discomfort and anxiety.