Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Default Pit Boss

LOL, is this show a joke?

I can't help but watch. I've tuned into some episodes since it came out.

But it's SO... fake.

I don't even understand. Is Shortywood even a real talent agency?

watching right now (a little behind) and Shorty just fell off an ATV... lol, it looked SO beyond fake. Like they'd really have these 3 little people riding ATV's trying to find a loose pittie.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

I used to watch it then an episode aired where that little asshat fed his 'service dog' some food from the table at a restaurant and I never turned on another episode. It's people like that that ruin service dog rights.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM
SBT Lover!!

He has a "service dog?" I never knew that. I've never seen pictures of him with a "service dog." As someone with a Service Dog in training, people with fake service dogs really get under my skin.

I've always disliked the idea of them having so many Pit Bulls and related breeds in their care. How are they supposed to break up a fight should one occur? Many of the dogs they rescue outweigh them. It seems more like a publicity thing than a helping dogs thing.

It took 4 refreshes in reCaptcha to create this post.

ETA: Found this on Animal Planet's bio of Shorty:
"After injuring himself in a stunt, Shorty became interested in service animal training. He trained one of his own pit bulls to be a service animal, and he actively has been involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community ever since. Currently, two of Shorty's dogs are registered service animals, with one in training."

There is no nationally recognized service dog registry, so there is really no such thing as a "registered" service dog unless you are registered with a fake online registry. If he was really "involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community," he would know this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.
Yes. It is extremely unprofessional to feed a service dog from the table at a restaurant.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Shorty? Yeah, his dog Hercules is his service dog. It seems legitimate to me though? That dog goes everywhere with him. He's got real back problems, etc, and obviously is at a disadvantage to some things being a little person. And Hercules seems super chill and really well trained, etc. Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

He did not simply slip the dog a bit if food, the dogs head was almost on the table, any other handler would have been asked to leave the place, IMO.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

That guy seriously is nuts IMO. We don't get animal planet any more but.. yeah. He has a bad temper too.

Dixie Loo - 2009 Schnauzer Mix
Rudy Roo - 2008 Airedale Terrier Mix
Buster - Forever loved and missed. 1-10-04 - 12-1-14
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, I actually like this show, more for the drama than anything else. Yes, the dog rescues are fake, but the talent agency is more than likely real. I believe they do raise money to send to rescues though.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

I used to watch it but didn't like how he makes it seem like pit bulls are super dog friendly, he sleeps with multiple pit bulls on his bed, it just felt like false info. The main reason i stopped was that they seemed to be blatantly breaking the law when they took people's dogs.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I used to watch it but didn't like how he makes it seem like pit bulls are super dog friendly, he sleeps with multiple pit bulls on his bed, it just felt like false info
This is an issue I end up having with so many shows like this involving these breeds. Millan is guilty of it too with portraying APBTs as these calm,
introverted Clumber Spaniel-type dogs that are so misunderstood but really should never give you problems.

I see what they're trying to do, but it is still detrimental to the breed. In some ways, it's worse for them than what the other side does.

My Polyvore
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Shorty? Yeah, his dog Hercules is his service dog. It seems legitimate to me though? That dog goes everywhere with him. He's got real back problems, etc, and obviously is at a disadvantage to some things being a little person. And Hercules seems super chill and really well trained, etc. Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.
I did a bit more research on this, asked people on the service dog forum I am on and, while it does seem he may have a real need for a service dog, either he's a faker or just a terrible handler. Here are a few reasons:

First, in his bio on the AP page it says that he is "involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community." The ADA is a law, there is no "ADA community." There is disability community, there is a service dog community, there is a community of Americans with disabilities, but there is no Americans with Disabilities Act community. And, from what I have heard from the service dog forum I am on, he doesn't seem to be involved in any of the aforementioned communities and he seems to have little grasp of how the ADA works!

Second, He claims his dogs are "registered." There is no national registry or certification for Service Dogs. Therefore, if the dogs in fact are "registered," they are registered with a fake online registry. The only people who register with such registries are people who don't know any better, or people who are faking and want to seem legitimate.

Third, Shorty seems to constantly allow Hercules to sit in the seat next to him on trains, in planes and in other situations when it is not appropriate for him to be seated there. A service dog should be seated on the floor at your feet or under the seat in such situations.

Most disturbing, however, is this picture where he is seated in the booth at a restaurant!! In addition to being unprofessional, that is highly unsanitary!

Fourth, he is fed table scraps and appears to beg for them. In this picture he is about to be fed an entire meatball in an Italian restaurant. The caption on the photo is, "Hércules is getting ready for his meatball at Villa Italia."

He does all of these things in the public eye, which makes service dog teams look bad and teaches people incorrect information about service dog etiquette. Even if Hercules is a legitimate service dog, Shorty is a poor handler.

It took 6 refreshes in reCaptcha to make this post.