Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't use shampoo. I use a conditioner to massage on my scalp to clean like a shampoo, and then I use a more moisturizing conditioner to just... use like a normal conditioner lol.

So I never had any greasy transition since I'm still cleaning my hair, just without the harsh chemicals. Plus I think with curly hair its easier to hide any greasiness anyway lol. And yeah, this sort of method is really good for curly hair!

You do want to be careful then of the products you put in your hair, since you won't have the sulfates to remove it all. Basically I stay clear of silicones which is in just about everything!

So for my "cleaning" conditioner I actually use Buddy Wash lol but you can get cheapy natural conditioners from the drug store.
My real conditioner is Shea Moisture.
I use Kinky-Curly leave in conditioner and their curling gel.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
How do you go about getting started?
My hair lately has been bugging me.
It looks bad the day of/after I wash it (because my curls need the oil in my hair to not be all frizzy) but gets way too oily within a few days of NOT being washed
So the amount of time my hair is at it's peak of "pretty" is shorter and shorter. I've heard that getting started on more natural stuff for my hair would help with this.

Ideas?

Right now the "more natural" shampoos in my arsenal (right now I use Aussie) are..
- Nature's gate herbal shampoo
- Aubrey Primrose & Lavender
I also have some Lush dry shampoo powder stuff.

First off.. do you think the nopoo stuff would help my predicament/keep my hair in the "Oily but not TOO oily" phase longer?

And if so.. How often do you shampoo? What do you use? how long before my hair isn't an oily mess and gets used to more natural stuff?

Thank you
I also struggled with this (my hair is also curly, & waste length) this might sound weird (but it works ... At least for me) but I "wash" my hair with ... Conditioner I try to find sulfate free conditioner) just use it like you would shampoo, if doesn't make my hair oily at all & for me it cleans really good ... & I am someone who's hair is contacted with: dust from stalls, dirt, sweat from wearing a riding helmet & neoprene ski mask underneath.

For those really humid or windy days though I need extra help, I use this stuff from "fruitis" that is 98% naturally derived, it doesn't have a scent. It's called "anti humidity styling cream". I put a little on my hands, then wet them , then smooth it through my dampened hair in the morning before I braid it.

I don't use the dry shampoo, it always leaves my hair filmy :/.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

I use WEN by Chaz Dean,,love it
Diane
Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
I use WEN by Chaz Dean,,love it
Diane
I really really want to try this stuff, I love the infomercials!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I just wanted to mention that I never ever put any kind of product whatsoever in my hair. I'm not even sure if you're completely shampoo free, you can.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

I have curly hair and I mostly use DevaCurl products. They're great. I use the "low poo" shampoo (it still suds a little, but not much) 3x a week, along with conditioner. The other days I just use a conditioner. For products I use DevaCurl stuff mostly, along with some stuff from Curl Junkie or this other place.. I can't remember what it's called.

Curly hair does NOT need to be washed everyday, as it's already dry enough.

I didn't have an issue switching over, just decided to do it one day and that was it!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

I tried 'no poo' for a month and hated it. My hair never got better, just looked limp and scalp felt horrible and I felt scuzzy too, that 'I haven't showered in a week and we've been camping' feeling.

Now I shampoo maybe twice a week, with a dime sized amount of shampoo and just on the scalp, not worried about the ends. Then conditioner. Seems to work better for me.

I don't know if it's the water here maybe but yeah not a good result here....
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

I never thought about just using conditioner.. that's an interesting idea!

One thing I worry about is smell.. I don't want my hair to smell like.well..hair lol I want it to smell like flowers or whatever the heck else my shampoo smells like.

I may just try conditioner or try some more natural shampoo a bit less often! Stay tuned.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

If you want it to smell nice, you can mix some honey with hot water to thin it out and put in a few drops of essential oils. The honey will be good for your scalp and the hair (you can also take coconut oil separately and place it on the ends of your hair for a few minutes). The essential oils will smell nice and you can buy a bunch of sample scents that will last a while.

My Polyvore
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
I've thought about trying no-poo (the baking soda method), but I'm so nervous! It's weird, but when my hair is oily I feel gross all over, even if I'm very clean. Plus, I'm prone to dandruff (I try to do a ACV-tea tree oil rinse every week, but it... often doesn't happen, oops), so I don't want that to flare up with the baking soda, even during the transition.
Using baking soda is a little weird the first time, but it really works, and you don't feel gross at all! It completely removes the oils without drying you out. It's a great exfoliant, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
To go shampoo free, I started washing with baking soda. And sometimes rinsing with vinegar. The thing is...if you go totally shampoo free, your hair will look greasy for a week or two. And then it will look AWESOME. During the greasy looking period, braids and hats, they are your friend.

So true!

Right now I am SLS and paraben free. My products do have parabens in them, though. I am less concerned with the health of my hair than how it looks at this point - it has to be presentable for work, and when it's this short that means a blowout and a straightening iron. I shampoo every 5-7 days and condition every 2-4 days, depending upon how I feel. I usually use a few drops of argan oil on the tips when it's wet, and that has been working wonderfully. My hair feels better now when it's fried and dyed than it ever has before.