Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default "No-poo"/Sulfate free shampoo people.

How do you go about getting started?
My hair lately has been bugging me.
It looks bad the day of/after I wash it (because my curls need the oil in my hair to not be all frizzy) but gets way too oily within a few days of NOT being washed
So the amount of time my hair is at it's peak of "pretty" is shorter and shorter. I've heard that getting started on more natural stuff for my hair would help with this.

Ideas?

Right now the "more natural" shampoos in my arsenal (right now I use Aussie) are..
- Nature's gate herbal shampoo
- Aubrey Primrose & Lavender
I also have some Lush dry shampoo powder stuff.

First off.. do you think the nopoo stuff would help my predicament/keep my hair in the "Oily but not TOO oily" phase longer?

And if so.. How often do you shampoo? What do you use? how long before my hair isn't an oily mess and gets used to more natural stuff?

Thank you
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

I use Everyday Shea (http://www.everydayshea.com/store/pc...2&idcategory=2). I've been using it for about... a year and a half now. I don't have to use conditioner anymore. I have long wavy hair that generally doesn't have *too* many problems with frizz, or at least as of using this shampoo.

For the first year that I used it, I had to wash my hair less - went from every day to about every other day. The past 6 months or so, though, it's gotten systematically more oily (which was when I stopped using the conditioner - hey, saves me money!). Now I have to wash it every day.

I've thought about trying no-poo (the baking soda method), but I'm so nervous! It's weird, but when my hair is oily I feel gross all over, even if I'm very clean. Plus, I'm prone to dandruff (I try to do a ACV-tea tree oil rinse every week, but it... often doesn't happen, oops), so I don't want that to flare up with the baking soda, even during the transition.

EDIT: With Everyday Shea it only took a few days to a week for it to get used to it. And the transition really wasn't that bad at all. It really just extra extra bright blonde for a while, and a little bit limp (but with that limpness came extra soft hair, which was great since my boyfriend at the time was more likely to touch it and give me head rubs).
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Behavior Nerd

I use SLS free shampoos. In general, I wash my hair every other day to every 3 days. I find that rotating shampoos really makes my hair the happiest, so I have three in rotation currently: Jason Tea Tree, Yes To Carrots, and Everyone Soap Coconut and Lemon.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I just bought SLS free shampoo one day and started using it. Never looked back. It does amazing things to my hair, including during the time period I was dying every couple of months, frying with a flat iron, blah blah blah.

This is my fave:
http://www.tigihaircare.com/consumer...ic/default.asp

Right now I'm using this because it was the only SLS-free they had at TJ Maxx when I was looking for more. (I spent $100 stocking up on salon-size Rockaholic when they had it one time and clearly I should have bought more because they haven't gotten any more in since. Wah!)
http://www.tigihaircare.com/consumer...o&categoryID=1

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

I did true DIY no poo several times and never could get it to work long term BUT I have been using good natural sulfate free for a long time and it's great. I wash about every 4 or 5 days and use dry shampoo as needed in between.

Some of my favorites are mop top and deva curl but during the summer I need a bit more cleansing to I switch from the no poo to their low poo. There are many others I use as well, really get whatever I can when I need it
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I just don't use any shampoo. I only use conditioner. Unless I'm stripping out hair dye with cheap, harsh shampoos like Herbal Essences and Suave.

If I have to use shampoo, I prefer to use Fekkai.

ETA: I only wash my hair maybe once a week. I use cold water, as cold as I can stand anyway, and I use moroccan oil in it after.

My Polyvore

Last edited by ravennr; 01-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

I use sls free as well generally I use bed head, but since I bleached my hair I use joico colour safe stuff.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I didn't transition to sulfate-free, I just started using it one day. I wash my hair every two to three days. I usually stick to every three days, but if I'm feeling exceptionally gross it might be two days. I also usually soak it in either grape seed or olive oil about once a week. And then there's a certain deep conditioning pack I like to use every now and then. It's coconut milk, oil, and keratin I believe. Not sure on specifics, lol.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

I was completely shampoo free when I lived in the city, but that went out the window after I was hospitalized and stuff (I was lucky I couldn't raise my hands up to shave my head because dear God I would have).

To go shampoo free, I started washing with baking soda. And sometimes rinsing with vinegar. The thing is...if you go totally shampoo free, your hair will look greasy for a week or two. And then it will look AWESOME. During the greasy looking period, braids and hats, they are your friend.

I phased out the baking soda, I went from using it every other day to every 4-5 days, to not really at all. I'd still use it if I thought my hair might need it - spent time in a smoky bar, or did something to get really sweaty, or more often I'd just suds my hands with bar soap and run it through my hair.

Now I use sulfate free, and still wash my hair like every 4-5 days.

Anddd, apparently I have NO pictures of my hair when I was shampoo free. But I got a lot of compliments on my hair at that point in my life.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I use sulfate and silicon free shampoo. I switched over a few months ago - and started washing it every other day. I use a little baby powder if it seems a ting greesy on the morning of the second day, and I'm good to go.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.