Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

For things like bones and parts, I leave it out to thaw enough to break up, and then as I break parts off I toss them into a bag in the freezer. So I'll do 40 pounds of beef bones that way, they're stored in one or two big bags inside a tub in the freezer (chest freezer). Breaking them up when mostly frozen they freeze quickly and as I add more I break up the bones again so when I need some I can take out what I need to thaw.

Big blocks of ground I take out and use up so they'll have that for a few days in bigger meals, then a smaller meal of something else. Though I've been getting the ground in bricks that break apart so that's not bad. The blocks are much cheaper though....
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

I put several days worth of portions in a bag. Then pull a bag out when needed. Right now though the meat I'm getting my 3 already comes portioned out. I need to put in a big meat order until I do. I've been buying the boys chicken quarters in a 10 pound bag and miss picky her boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

For Teagan I cut everything up in 1-2 ounce chunks and then put then in 5 L plastic rectangle containers and put labels on them of what kind of meat it is, and stack them in the freezer. And then I take out at least three days portions and put them in the fridge.

I keep chicken feet and smaller bones like that in the freezer upstairs so I remember to give her one every couple days or so. The liver also stays upstairs because I only giver her a small piece cause she cant handle a lot of liver.

A bigger freezer is also in our future when we get pup, because Lord knows where gonna need a bigger freezer.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I don't feed raw, and have no suggestions other than everyone needs to read the "Dogs in Elk" story.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I don't feed raw, and have no suggestions other than everyone needs to read the "Dogs in Elk" story.
If anyone hasn't, they can find it here:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/report...dogsinelk.html
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Kung Pow Fish

I find that every single plastic baggie iv ever used leaks like crazy when its thawing. So i use dollar store tupperware and thaw it as soon as i get it and repackage as much as I can fit in each bin. ends up being 3 or 4 days of each item (backs, necks)/(other)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

I also dislike thawing in plastic bags because then I end up sticking it in tupperware anyways! I've bought the cheap (Cub) tupperware and designated a whole design for raw feeding (they used to be written on in sharpie... that's since faded). When I was feeding Woody's to Buzz I'd let the tub thaw then put it into half pound portions (because that was a meal for him). Since I feed twice a day, I'd rotate after each meal. I'm not sure what I'll do with my cats since they'll be eating a lot less!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I also dislike thawing in plastic bags because then I end up sticking it in tupperware anyways! I've bought the cheap (Cub) tupperware and designated a whole design for raw feeding (they used to be written on in sharpie... that's since faded).
We do that, too. I just bought a specific shape of a cheap tupperware knockoff with a specific color lid so we know those are all designated for dog food.

The grinds I get come in a chub that is wrapped in plastic, but they do sometimes leak. I just put them on a puppy housetraining pad or a paper towel over a plastic shopping bag in the fridge until they are just soft enough to slice up, then keep the slices in the tupperware. The parts (wings, necks, backs) that I keep in ziplocs, I just feed frozen.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

I use the cheap ziploc tupperware knock offs and break things down into those. Blue and red lids.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Puppy Dog

I do both. If I buy it frozen I don't portion out til I'm ready to use it..then I'll use what I need for that day and portion out the rest. If I buy it unfrozen I'll portion it out before I freeze it. I'll portion out for larger meals or smaller meals for each dog. I am not consistent on the amount I feed per day...just kind of averages out as I plan and feed each week.