Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Awww she is so cute!

How wonderful of you to rescue her
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

I hate seeing it in the context. Lets breed dogs as SMALL as we can possibly get them, knock up the price as high as we can get it, the health of the dog be darned. Of course there are exceptions as there is to everything, but somebody ran out and paid big money for a puppy mill dog that was sick, deaf, blind, and they didn't even know it. Because the label probably said "toy". Aww, how cute.

I don't even know if that's what they bought her as. But regardless, this is where most of the toy and teacup hype gets us. I apologize for my strong feelings, because I am we'll aware that there are fantastic breed people out there, but that's not what I see most of the time.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Cute pup! Thanks for taking her in.

I agree with Aleron. We have a toy Aussie who was bred from minis and just substandard in height. It's in our calm and controlled class and needs it... Badly. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

How adorable! Congrats on the new addition.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
She was purchased from a pet store at about 6 weeks old, And landed at the vet's office the next day with terrible pnuemonia and giardia.

If you can find out the name of the pet store you can report them. They are breaking the law for selling puppies under 8 weeks of age and if the state has a lemon law they may be breaking that law also. If enough people report pet stores breaking laws then they will go out of business or at least stop selling puppies.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
I hate seeing it in the context. Lets breed dogs as SMALL as we can possibly get them, knock up the price as high as we can get it, the health of the dog be darned. Of course there are exceptions as there is to everything, but somebody ran out and paid big money for a puppy mill dog that was sick, deaf, blind, and they didn't even know it. Because the label probably said "toy". Aww, how cute.
I'm not sure how that's any different from any other poorly bred dog though? I see tons of Aussies who are from irresponsible breeders. I have seen whole litters of double merle Aussie puppies for sale at the flea market. It's sad and it's unfortunate for the dogs but they aren't mixes.

As for size, the entire Toy group is selectively bred for small size. PyrSheps are a foundation breed for Aussies and their size range is within that of Toy/Mini Aussies. There is nothing harmful about the size of Mini Aussies. There are some Aussies with no Toy/Mini lines in them, that are mini sized because that size range exists in the breed. The foundation for the Toy/Mini Aussies were toy sized dogs, that were bred to the smaller but still normal sized Aussies. If anything, the breed's size has increased from that of the foundation dogs.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
The Monster.

I think of dogs like this when I hear toy:

I think it's pretty safe to say that that's a mini Aussie x Chi, Pom or Pap pup. (Probably one of the best looking ones I've seen too...)

I'm sure I'm wrong, but up to this point I've considered all small Aussies minis and all clearly mixed ones mutts- err, toys. I'm not a huge fan of intentionally breeding Aussies down in size since I feel that too often size takes precedence over temperament with breeders, so I fail to see the importance of further distinguishing "minis" and whatever is apparently smaller. To be hyper focused on size to the extent that you're calling your *working* dogs "toys" is to lose credence as a quality breeder.

However, the quality of the breeder of this MM Aussie isn't in question...

Tazwell, congrats on your new pup!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

YodelDogs, they were busted last year and the owner shut down, but the pet store got to remain open with a different guy who is not currently selling puppies.

Aleron, I understand, I do. I'm not disagreeing with you. But there are no reg. papers. There are no breeder papers. There are no pet store papers. The first owner never even had on paper what she was, nor did they even seem to know. So the chances of her being a puppy mill mix? Likely.

I don't bash anybody's breed, or varieties. Breeding practices? Maybe. But I will question my Dog's heritage. Without a moment of doubt. There's no questioning that she did not come from a respectable breeding practice, that's for sure. I do apologize however if I offended anybody!

I can't wait to get some decent photos of her, she really is cute. She's one of those dogs that everybody asks about. Her legs and feet are reminiscent of a small breed, though, exactly like our (poorly bred/shelter dog) pom's were.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Adrian is very cute, regardless of what she's called or where she came from. I'm sure she's very happy to have ended up in your home!

And I have to say, that last picture of Fleetwood is really, really nice. I love it!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I think of dogs like this when I hear toy:

I think it's pretty safe to say that that's a mini Aussie x Chi, Pom or Pap pup. (Probably one of the best looking ones I've seen too...)
Did you see the pictures of the foundation dogs for Mini Aussies? That dog looks a lot like some of them. They weren't bred down from Aussies, the foundation dogs were small and...not Aussies.

It doesn't really matter to me one way or another, it's not my breed. I just hate that there is so much misinformation on the Mini Aussies and feel bad for people who have them constantly being told their dogs are mixes or "not a real breed".