Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM
such sights to show you

If he's only been on it 5 days, I would try to wait it out. Most dogs who have this type of reaction will acclimate within 10-14 days or so.

There are lots of other options for drugs as well. So if he continues to just feel awful on it, ask about alternatives.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, if it came down to him not adjusting to the meds and staying like this, I'd be more comfortable putting him down than keeping him drugged like this. He's not calm. He's very clearly uncomfortable and miserable. And he's not generally neurotic outside of certain situations except episodically....it's not like he runs around anxious and high strung normally.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would wait it out for a while and see if he adjusts. It's pretty early to give up, especially since it has so much potential to change his life for the better.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

I would probably wait out the adjustment period if my dog were normally highly anxious. Most times they come out of it once they regulate. But then lethargic dogs don't bother me that much.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Active Pup

Default My dog just started Prozac

My dog (16 lb doxen) just started Prozac 2 weeks ago, and I'm seeing similar side effects. He is usually high energy, now he seems sleepy and I have to coax him for his morning walk. The good news is that he seems less aggressive toward my husband (he's bitten him before). I have read a lot of information, and it seems that these side effects are common. While I'm not thrilled with the lethargy, I've read that these changes will pass when the dog adjusts to the drug- up to 90 days. It's a trying time for any pet owner, but I want to see it through, as the alternative is a dangerous dog, which isn't healthy for anyone.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

I didn't see the newest comment on this. It took about 2 weeks, but Milo did adjust to the meds. He is back to his happy self and is no longer lethargic, although he definitely isn't as energetic, he is still playful and far from lethargic (he also just turned 8, so his age might have something to do with that).

90 days seems like a long time, but I would definitely advise waiting two weeks at least to see if side effects such as lethargy subside.

His aggression and OCD issues have also seen an amazing improvement on Prozac

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Classic acted the same way on prozac, didn't get better for 6 weeks, still acted lethargic/wall staring, etc. So we switched him to clomicalm and that was the ticket. His anxiety related behaviors improved but he returned to his normal goofy self. Certain meds don't work for certain dogs. I was told by our behaviorist that if it changes their personality like that, the dose isn't quite right. It might not be the amount but the schedule, 10mg broken into two doses has a different effect than 10mg given once a day. Also, dogs metabolize drugs differently than humans do, so the doses aren't going to be relatable.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Gavroche is 53lbs and takes 10mg a day. He never had the lethargic stage, but we also started giving it MONTHS before we knew he'd need it so that it would be working by the time winter came around. Sadly not everyone has the luxury of knowing WHEN your dog is going to need it (or you need it all the time). It stopped his teeth grinding, plus has shown some other benefits. I'm going to leave him on it year-round now.