Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Kung Pow Fish

She is unrelated back to like 7 generations, so its already an out right there
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Active Pup

Default can u lads help

i know this has nothin to do with ur convo but u all seem to know a thing or two... im lookin to register my generation pedigree blue staf as im looking to stud him, his grandad is the famous blue staffy stud "levi" off the website www.bluestafford.com an his dad is one of levi's pups, both my staffs parents are registered breeding dogs but we didnt get any papers with my staff wen we got him as they didnt register him, is there anyway i can get him registered n get him some papers??
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Active Pup

Some things to think about.....
What is the COI for each male?
What will be the COI for the aunt/nephew breeding? Generally its 12.5%, the same for half siblings, but it can higher. Since this is s "half aunt" and not a true aunt its only 6.25%. How tight do you want to go/willing to go over time? What are your goals with the inbreeding? What are the negative traits of the common male (her sire/her nephews grandsire)?

There is no one answer to this questions because it will always depend on the individual dogs in questions as well as the breeder.

You already have your first idea for inbreeding set for the couple of generations. From there which way you go would really on how the dogs turn out.
If you blend the lines and clean it up to the traits you desire from each that's a positive. You are developing a line from this foundation.

If you breed two parallel lines and combine them later if one has what you want for the other that's a positive too. You have separate lines to develop the best in each line and later combine them and develop a strong line from the two.

If you want too breed each line individually you can do that until you get what you want fairly consistently. 3-5 generations depending on what you see. We can make breeding plans until kingdom come but it really will depend on how each pup turns out at maturity on where one goes to the next generation.

With the breeding you mentioned you could still be bringing the first males sire and/or grandsire traits to the table. Those dogs genes, at least some of them are being carried in his son.

One important aspect to consider when inbreeding (really breeding period) is health and temperament. You do need to consider what is back in the pedigree and that of other related dogs as well. Those things can sure show up in your line a few generations later.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyBulldog View Post
Some things to think about.....
What is the COI for each male?
What will be the COI for the aunt/nephew breeding? Generally its 12.5%, the same for half siblings, but it can higher. Since this is s "half aunt" and not a true aunt its only 6.25%. How tight do you want to go/willing to go over time? What are your goals with the inbreeding? What are the negative traits of the common male (her sire/her nephews grandsire)?

There is no one answer to this questions because it will always depend on the individual dogs in questions as well as the breeder.

You already have your first idea for inbreeding set for the couple of generations. From there which way you go would really on how the dogs turn out.
If you blend the lines and clean it up to the traits you desire from each that's a positive. You are developing a line from this foundation.

If you breed two parallel lines and combine them later if one has what you want for the other that's a positive too. You have separate lines to develop the best in each line and later combine them and develop a strong line from the two.

If you want too breed each line individually you can do that until you get what you want fairly consistently. 3-5 generations depending on what you see. We can make breeding plans until kingdom come but it really will depend on how each pup turns out at maturity on where one goes to the next generation.

With the breeding you mentioned you could still be bringing the first males sire and/or grandsire traits to the table. Those dogs genes, at least some of them are being carried in his son.

One important aspect to consider when inbreeding (really breeding period) is health and temperament. You do need to consider what is back in the pedigree and that of other related dogs as well. Those things can sure show up in your line a few generations later.
Aye, all very good questions and things to think about. As for the COI, I havent the foggiest. Our pedigree database doesnt have a COI function like many do, so Iv been punching things in manually to a "breeders assistant" program I downloaded, but I only have a finite amount of patience for going all the way back into amstaffs, and to be honest I worry because theres at least 2 instances I know of where its "common knowledge" that a sire or dam was not the sire or dam on record, but an unknown dog of a different BREED entirely (once, Bulldog, and once, Stafford) which, being a totally other breed entirely, completely makes COI wonky, and Im not even sure how you would calculate that at all. So Im going to just assume, that whatever COI numbers I get, the true % is less

But yes, youre right. ill have to reevaluate where I go after this first couple breedings. It will also depend on if I find anything worth using from the other sireline, as I DONT have access to that blood just yet either

This board is awesome