Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Well, duh! I think you two just figured it out! Since he broke his premolar on an antler - the reason for the dental - he hasn't had any chews to speak of. He used to chew on antlers all day long. Now - none. So, I think THAT is where the change is coming from. I haven't even given him his nylabone back yet. So, I think I need to get him more chews. Something not hard, but that his stomach can handle. Tracheas seemed to be okay for him, so there's a start, just don't know how much good a trachea does for teeth.
We sell raw tracheas at my work - I'm sure they do much more for dental health than the dried ones! Plus, they're the same price and a lot bigger. I give them to Missy mostly frozen, and it takes her forever.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
If you are hand scaling the teeth alot then you are creating tiny grooves in the enamel that arnt being polished away. Tarter sticks to these easier and faster.
This and it may just be more noticeable after a dental, clean slates look dirty faster than dusty ones.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

I think it depends on the dog. Julian went almost a decade (pretty good for a Yorkie!) with sparkling teeth (he chews raw bones, etc) He accumulated tartar pretty quickly when we did do a dental and it was discovered the tiny llittle molar in the back was bad, so it was pulled. He's put on tartar quickly now. That could be due to age or something though

However, I've hand scaled Aesop's teeth (canines) and his are still fine, although I did polish it afterwards. And Ginger's were fine after a dental. (her teeth are odd, though, as I have no idea what went on with her first owner, but all of her teeth are completely stained brown. It makes it look like she needs dental, when she in fact had a few dentals she probably didn't need.All staining.)

Newt has genetically crappy teeth that accumulate tartar within months of a dental. We have just accepted that she is a once or twice a year dental dog.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
We sell raw tracheas at my work - I'm sure they do much more for dental health than the dried ones! Plus, they're the same price and a lot bigger. I give them to Missy mostly frozen, and it takes her forever.
I wish I could find raw ones here!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I wish I could find raw ones here!
If you have any local pet food stores that carry raw products, I would give them a call and see if they can order some for you. We get ours from Green Tripe, but I'm sure there are other companies out there.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to see if I can get someone to order them in.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This and it may just be more noticeable after a dental, clean slates look dirty faster than dusty ones.
Even if they're not hand scaled, you are depending on the skill of the technician polishing the teeth. A good polish job, and the dental appears to last longer. A crappy polishing job, and you'll see tartar build up much quicker.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

I think the whole genetic predisposition thing is true... Lily's always had awesome teeth. Scout on the other hand, her teeth were nasty brown at 2yrs old on kibble... and they stayed that nasty on 50/50 pmr/kibble. But when I went full prey model raw with her? Bam, it looks like she had a dental. Crazy what a huge difference it made. I wish I'd taken before & after pics!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
If you are hand scaling the teeth alot then you are creating tiny grooves in the enamel that arnt being polished away. Tarter sticks to these easier and faster.
This. And I've noticed dogs that have the 'anesthetic free' dentals get tarter build up waaaay faster than those that have a more thorough cleaning and polishing under anesthesia.

Small dogs are more prone to dental disease than larger and some breeds are just more prone. Yorkies have terrible teeth for the most part.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've noticed dogs that have the 'anesthetic free' dentals get tarter build up waaaay faster than those that have a more thorough cleaning and polishing under anesthesia.
Logan was anesthetized - we had to remove a tooth was the only reason he had the dental at all. Can't really do that without anesthesia.

He's also not a small dog - he's a collie.