Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Long term breeding plans/bloodline questions

Id like to get some feedback from wiser breeders than I, on what my best course of action might be, or maybe just the pros and cons of each.

I am intending to breed my own line for the next 20-30 years, and there are two males in particular I am wanting to base my entire program on. They are both proving themselves to be excellent producers of sound dogs with good temperaments, even when sometimes not bred in the most wise manner. They are both from completely unrelated bloodlines. I have, to start with, a half sister to one of them (same sire) and I am intending to take her to a son of him, which would be her nephew.

With my end goal being to work with both of these lines, what is my best course of action? Should I attempt to work with both lines separately for a number of years to improve them, before melding them into one? Or should I take my current bitch and breed her to the other bloodline right away, and work down from there, braiding in one and then the other as I go? Being as how the two males are SO drastically unrelated, I dont feel any qualms about a tight linebreed if I immediately cross them, I would just have to watch what I do from there in successive generations.

Input?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Professional Nerd

I'd bring it together now, then line breed down. But, you know how Pit Bull people love tight pedigrees!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Kung Pow Fish

LOL yes, yes I do. I just worry about sloppiness and throwbacks when doing that, which is why I also wonder if working on each line separately first wouldnt be a good idea too. Get the e/w and slop out before I go crossing them.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

I think if you have the ability to develop two kind of separate lines each based on a dog you really love, that is the way I could go. The reason being, you can combine the lines in the future. That way, if one doesn't pan out you don't have to scrap your whole program.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Active Pup

The thing to remember is you are breeding to the grandparents in a line breeding. If THEY are tight then you are onto the greats. I have no where to take Darla or the boys except to a total out. With my requirements I doubt they will get bred.
PR Lilac Hill's Hello Darlin
PR Lilac Hill's Big Iron
PR Lilac Hill's A White Sport Coat
PR Lilac Hills I Walk The Line
Still with one nutty Ibizan
UWP CH Special Acres Just a Figment
Now a Rattie
PR Arkay's Double Deck Pinochle
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Hmmm theres a horrifying thought. Something coming up down the road, nasty and recessive. Another excellent point. Aleron, both sires are pretty prolific, so finding offspring outside my yard to use isnt a problem. How long would you think I should breed each line before I try mixing them?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Yeah I already figured that out Karen, which is why Im not breeding my girl directly to the first male, but instead to a SON. I want to bring his traits to the table, not his sire or his grandsire. Hes proven to throw his look and temperament, and his son is near a little carbon copy of him, with better type.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
Hmmm theres a horrifying thought. Something coming up down the road, nasty and recessive. Another excellent point. Aleron, both sires are pretty prolific, so finding offspring outside my yard to use isnt a problem. How long would you think I should breed each line before I try mixing them?
It happens for sure. Luckily I wasn't too far into my plans when it happened with my dogs but it was still really discouraging.

It sort of depends on what you are able to do. I'd say to plan on three generations out of both and see what you have at that point.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

It helps to look at the COI and not get too boxed in with dogs. Also, if you are going really tight, do as much research and testing as you can. Not a bad idea to also test the dogs into older age for eyes etc. to be double sure you're not going to find anything out the hard way if at all possible.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
Yeah I already figured that out Karen, which is why Im not breeding my girl directly to the first male, but instead to a SON. I want to bring his traits to the table, not his sire or his grandsire. Hes proven to throw his look and temperament, and his son is near a little carbon copy of him, with better type.
Yeah but what about the dam's side of that son? Whole other set of variables.
PR Lilac Hill's Hello Darlin
PR Lilac Hill's Big Iron
PR Lilac Hill's A White Sport Coat
PR Lilac Hills I Walk The Line
Still with one nutty Ibizan
UWP CH Special Acres Just a Figment
Now a Rattie
PR Arkay's Double Deck Pinochle