Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Default Crappy Food

I've encountered this on many occasions with past and present fosters.

Jersey has been eating pedigree her whole life, mind you she's only 2 (almost) but her coat is beautiful and with a beautiful shine, her teeth look great and doesn't stink considering she's on kibble. I also had a foster that was 11 and he was also on crap food his whole life and it was the same thing. He was in great shape with nice clean teeth and everything. He was adopted out and is still going strong.

I would never personally feed my own dogs that, but sometimes I feel I should just leave whatever foster I have on the food if they're doing so well.

Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

Well, I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Sibe/GSD we had when we got married was fed Purina Hi Pro for awhile, store brand burger type stuff, Pedigree (different than the one out now. This was back in the mid-late 80s), and, the last few years of his life, Gaines Cycle 4. He lived to be 17, and was healthy as a horse.

ETA- Mick, OTOH, did best on Pro Plan.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I think a lot of the coat/tooth health boils down to genetics. So while you can help/hurt it with food, it pretty much is what it is.

Even on the best food in the world (even raw) Frodo still gets gunky teeth that I have to brush to keep clean. If I don't do it for 2 weeks, it's there again.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

I would still try to switch. My brother did great on a diet of bologna and cheese sandwiches, grilled cheese, nutty bars, and soda but it still wasn't a healthy diet and might be wreaking havoc on the inside. Or it might not be, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If my dog came down with something I would always wonder if I could have prevented it with better food. But I agree genes probably affect health more than anything

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I keep fosters on what they came on if they're doing well with it. I was iffy about Nacho, but ended up keeping him on his food (though we may be doing a switch since he may become long term)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think a lot of the coat/tooth health boils down to genetics.
Yup, that. I firmly believe that most of oral health is genetic, as I've seen evidence by my own pets.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
orange iguanas.

I tend to believe that a dog that's fed Ol Roy might look fantastic, but that doesn't mean it's the best food for them or that it's actually healthy. Nutrition is nutrition is nutrition. I pretty much eat nothing but junk, outwardly it probably doesn't show (I won't judge myself ) but yeah I know my diet isn't doing me any favors and that it'll catch up with me.

Now if I were just fostering I don't know that I would really go too wild and crazy with my food choice. I'd probably feed something better just for the plain fact that I think cheapy foods smell bad and are nastily greasy. Wouldn't put as much thought into it as I do my own dogs though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

I usually just feed my fosters whatever I'm currently feeding my own dogs. Makes it easier. Now, Tango was a different story. He was small enough I could really feed anything and not cost much, and I wanted to make sure he had the absolute best nutrition while he was healing from his amputation. So he got Orijen kibble and Nature's Variety premade raw. Once he was healed I switched him to what my dogs were eating, which at the time I think was TOTW. I have no idea what he was eating before because the previous owners didn't tell me, but I'm assuming it was crap given the rest of his care was crap.

I do think oral health is genetic, and not necessarily that the most well-bred dogs have the best oral health. Neither of my dogs has much for buildup, but considering Logan has significantly more than Gavroche (who has, well, nothing), even though Logan just had a dental and they eat the exact same thing...yeah. My parents' dog Max lived well into his teens and he NEVER needed a dental, his teeth were perfect except for wear.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Love my pets

All I can tell you is my neighbor down the block has fed Dog Chow to all her dogs. Her oldest being 15 years old (pittie/boxer mix). My other neightbor feeds Pedigree. There's no way you can convince them to switch to "better" foods when their dogs are healthy & living long lives.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

I always switch my foster Saints off of crappy diets. She is still a baby if she is nearly two and generally a dog in good health will present with a nice coat, nails, etc at this age even on a bad diet. The reason that I switch them off is because off their lifespan being so short. Most Saints who end up in rescue are coming from byb's and a lifespan that is only 8-10 will usually be on the lower end with a byb saint. My old boy did very well until he was 7 1/2 and then his decline was rapid. He made it one day past his eighth birthday. My current boy is 6 (a foster failure!) who we got when he was 4. He was fed Old Roy his entire life (until the day he came into our home). I prefer to give him the best diet he can to prolong his life any way I can.

I am tired of the whole argument that 'so and so have a dog who lived to be 16 amd they only ever ate old roy (or any other trash food). Great! But let's face it, if we eat McDonalds every day of our life the odds are that we will not be as healthy as the person who makes a conscientious decision about what they eat. Nutrition is pretty cut and dry as far as I see it, healthy eating promotes a healthy body. Saints are not known to be the healthiest breed out there so I do everything I can for them. But beware, Saints are notorious for their cow patties when switching their foods. I always do pumpkin with a slow switch!