Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 AM
*Now with Snark*

I can't afford to get really sick so I get my shot every year at the free clinic. 1 Million disease bearers have crossed through my presence in the last year at work and I have only a cold to speak of for illness.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I don't get the flu shot, neither does Kevin or any of our kids. Never have.

I got to be honest though, the news and media in general are just about scaring me into QUESTIONING my decision this year! I am normally unwavering and firm about the choice.........I mirror what many of you have said......HOOEY.

BUT, this year it seems every commercial break, every news bite has something about the nasty level of the flu this year, how it's already claimed X amount of lives...........a few of those lives young, healthy, strong teenage boys etc etc etc.

I tell you, a weaker person would have already ran for the nearest Walgreens and got in line for the vaccine! Dang Media working on a mother's fear like that

Which is exactly part of the plan Did you check out this link? It's a "Recipe" That foster Vaccine interest a Demand for the vaccine. Bought and paid for by the CDC.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...lu_nowak02.pdf

Quote:
Some highlights from their "recipe" to drive people to get a flu shot.

Medical experts and public health authorities
publicly (e.g., via media) state concern and
alarm (and predict dire outcomes)– and urge
influenza vaccination.
You see that every news break with bought and paid for advertising in the form of a regurgitated AP news report. This is also where the Nancy Sniderman's and the Richard Besser's of the world thrive. Bought and paid for spokespeople for the industry posing as "health experts" on your morning and nightly news.

another part of their recipe is to tell you just how severe, just how it seems to be attacking others it normally doesn't and say these things, true or not in areas of high population density, true or not.

Quote:
Dominant strain and/or initial cases of disease are:
– Associated with severe illness and/or outcomes

– Occur among people for whom influenza is not generally
perceived to cause serious complications (e.g., children,
healthy adults, healthy seniors)

– In cities and communities with significant media outlets
(e.g., daily newspapers, major TV stations)
By doing the above, they hope to achieve this:
Quote:
The combination of ‘2’ and ‘3’ result in:
A. Significant media interest and attention

B. Framing of the flu season in terms that motivate
behavior (e.g., as “very severe,” “more severe than
last or past years,” “deadly”)
also the kids you see sick, the reports of deaths, the pictures and the stories, for crying out loud, the morning abc National news had their "flu cam" so people could get on the news and tell the world about their illness, that truthfully might not be an influenza infection of any kind. Another tidbit they don't usually put out on the news, it isn't part of their recipe. Influenza type illnesses are often reported as the flu, though they have nothing to do with influenza of any type.

This morning, we're visiting my parents in Woodbury MN, and guess what led the local morning news? The death and memorial of a 14 (?) year old girl from the flu. She was apparently healthy, active, and by all the pictures a very beautiful child with a great life ahead of her. I feel horrible for her family, but she is just part of the plan for the CDC and vaccine makers, use her image, create fear, create anxiety, create demand. The kicker of the whole story, she was vaccinated with this years flu vaccine.

But their "recipe" isn't about health or information, or truth. It's about, Creating motivating levels of concern and anxiety about influenza and interest in flu vaccines. At least according to their own words.

It's marketing people, a very well thought out, planned and carefully orchestrated marketing plan that is tweaked and put upon us every year. Gotta hand it to them, it's working
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Never had it. ReAlly only people at high risk should bother... Asthmatics etc. I have an inhaler, but only really triggered by allergies or odd viruses so not bothered.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

I have never ever had the flu, but have gotten the flu shot the last few years. I started getting the shot when I went back to work after raising my kids. I don't want to have to miss work because I got sick. I also have my 80 year old father living with me and if there is anyway I can try and avoid getting him sick I will.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I don't get the flu. But even if I did I likely wouldn't bother with the shot. I am all for vaccinations, but I would like to take ones that aren't like throwing a dart at a moving target from have a year away.
This.

I'm all for vaccinating and do believe in them (especially for things that are life threatening.. ) but for the flu? just don't think it's worth the trip to go get it or the needle lol
I've only had the flu once and that's because my gross boyfriend at the time (who got his flu shot) gave me his germs.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Hear hear!

I don't get the flu shot. The only times I've gotten it, I've ended up GETTING the flu. Not worth it.
I keep saying this and no one believes me, tells me that is not possible. The few times I did get a flu shot I was sick within a day or two with the worst flu. The years I didn't, I didn't get it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I wish they had a shot for Mtn cedar allergies :/ the count is like ... At 20,000 last time I checked & it's making me miserable ... But what sucks is all the meds that decongest me also make me too drowsy to work

Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I don't get the flu. But even if I did I likely wouldn't bother with the shot. I am all for vaccinations, but I would like to take ones that aren't like throwing a dart at a moving target from have a year away.
This is usually how I feel.

However, this year I'm doing clinical in a nursing home. I got the flu vaccine not for myself, but for the safety of the residents. I probably will not get it next year. Although, what I can say is that I have been around a few sick people already that normally I would have gotten sick, but this year I didn't.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Count me in as a person who got it two years in a row and got the flu both years. In the 6 years since I stopped, I haven't been sick one time (unless you count the time I ate that antique bacon).

Of course, I also work a job where I'm outside all day long, in every kind of weather imaginable, playing with dog poop. I'm pretty sure that my immune system is so strong that I'm immortal now.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Count me in as a person who got it two years in a row and got the flu both years. In the 6 years since I stopped, I haven't been sick one time (unless you count the time I ate that antique bacon).

Of course, I also work a job where I'm outside all day long, in every kind of weather imaginable, playing with dog poop. I'm pretty sure that my immune system is so strong that I'm immortal now.
Same here, usually the only thing rhstbgetsbme down is allergies.'