Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think they're a load of hooey and have never, nor will ever, get one.
Hear hear!

I don't get the flu shot. The only times I've gotten it, I've ended up GETTING the flu. Not worth it.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Hear hear!

I don't get the flu shot. The only times I've gotten it, I've ended up GETTING the flu. Not worth it.
Same here.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

a bunch of garbage basically.

A lot of long term real world studies show the flu vaccine to be equal to, or minimally better than nothing in most people. they used to boast 70-80% effectiveness, now they say 60%, real world shows it to be much much lower if it shows anything at all.

They now mandate a lot of health care workers to get one. The public thinks it's about safety, but it has more to do with money. The US gov't is the largest purchaser of flu vaccine, to the tune of billions of dollars per year. Put that with a very large and powerful lobbying group and now we have a situation where Hospitals are mandating a flu shot. Why?

The past 10 years of incentivizing and forcing employees to get it, they were able to raise vaccination rates of health care workers from under 20% to just over 40%. Were they too lazy? Did they not have access? Stupid? or do they know more about it than your average person?

Well that wasn't high enough, so today, it's being mandated, OR the hospital group will get hit with decreases to Medicare reimbursements for all services if they don't mandate all employees to get a flu vaccine. Doesn't really seem all that fair. Especially for something with such a garbage record of preventing anything in ALL age group.

And for those who have been here a while, you may remember a friend of mine, 30 year old mother, nurse, former college soccer player, current triathlete who was forced to take a flu vaccine in 2009 with the H1N1 paranoia at a Hospital in IA. She suffered a rare, but very real side effect of vaccine, and 3 days later was on a ventilator and on a flight for life to the University of IA Hospital and was on life support for a week. 2 weeks later she was still unable to speak. SHe had to learn to walk and everything again, and for what? To settle some paranoia??

Anyway, they have quite the marketing campaign, generate fear, lots of it, then provide a solution. A rather weak and ineffective one, but when did that ever matter?

Is it really about health and information? or is it about marketing and cash flow?

from 2004, read a little presentation from the CDC about the flu. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...lu_nowak02.pdf

Sure lots of people may be sick this year. Is it really the flu? Rapid tests aren't all that accurate and usually can only tell if there is influenza present not what type. Lots of people have an influenza on mucas membranes, though that doesn't cause illness. I read a study earlier this year, wish I could find it, that said only 1 in 6 that come in contact with influenza, will get a clinical case of the "flu".

Anyway, they usually diagnose flu cases by appearance only, not diagnostic testing. That leaves a lot of room for error. When the H1N1 paranoia was being spread, they were claiming cases in the thousands in some areas. When clinical differential diagnosis were finally done, it was found that in many cases, fewer than 20% of the reported cases of H1N1 infections, were any influenza infection at all. That means over 80% of those reported cases they touted on the news every night were NOT even a influenza infection at all. But I guess when did accuracy in reporting matter any more?

if anybody wants to do any other reading, just do a quick search on the Cochrane database reviews on flu vaccines. There' a few and it's honest to goodness, large scale studies done on flu vaccines done by people that aren't making billions off of the sale and distribution of the vaccine.

So needless to say, no, I don't get one, never will.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Puppy Dog

I haven't yet, but I am going to get it. My seizure medicine is still not properly adjusted, and getting sick is a pretty big trigger and anything to lessen the risk is worth it for me. I have never had it but the only vaccine I have ever had a reaction to was either rabies or Japanese encephalitis (they gave them at the same time so no way to tell). Once my medicine is working properly I probably won't ever get it again since I rarely get sick.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
PSD Partner

I don't see the point in the flu shot. Everyone I know who gets one ends up getting very sick for several days or weeks. My family and I never get it and we rarely get sick.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
swimming upstream

no--I won't get one, and I advise my children not to as well. I work with preschoolers too--I take vit D, vit B --both good immune boosters.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Big Dog

I didn't get a flu shot. Never have. But, I did get the flu. It's a bear. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I may just get a shot next year.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Just try me..

I don't get the flu. But even if I did I likely wouldn't bother with the shot. I am all for vaccinations, but I would like to take ones that aren't like throwing a dart at a moving target from have a year away.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

I got mine. Medicaid covers it, so I didn't see a good reason not to.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
<--------Orson

I don't get the flu shot, neither does Kevin or any of our kids. Never have.

I got to be honest though, the news and media in general are just about scaring me into QUESTIONING my decision this year! I am normally unwavering and firm about the choice.........I mirror what many of you have said......HOOEY.

BUT, this year it seems every commercial break, every news bite has something about the nasty level of the flu this year, how it's already claimed X amount of lives...........a few of those lives young, healthy, strong teenage boys etc etc etc.

I tell you, a weaker person would have already ran for the nearest Walgreens and got in line for the vaccine! Dang Media working on a mother's fear like that