Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM
swimming upstream

From one Mom to another, Coop....((((((BIGTIMEHUGS))))).
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Obey the Toad.

(((hugs)))

My step brother is special forces in the Army and has been enlisted since he was 18 (he's now 41!). He is over in Afganistan right now, and I won't lie, we are scared every time he goes over. However, this is his thing, what he lives to do, so as his family we just worry and love and support him. You sound like you've done a good job with your son

If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
(((hugs)))
Be strong. Its going to suck and you are going to cry and you are going to miss him so bad you feel sick to your stomach. As a mother, you worry. But be proud of him, as I know you are.
Give him lots of hugs and kisses, even though he might think you are overreacting, you are his mom and that's what you do.
He will be fine
Again, (((hugs))) and everything will be okay
Dakotah, how can someone so young be so wise?

Coop, some advice from an Air Force Mom- do all that Dakotah sugegsted, but also, take it one step at a time. The first thing you have to deal with/adjust to is your son leaving for BMT and then Tech School (or whatever the branch of service he joined calls it), and the restrictions that go along with them. Then you'll be adjusting to him living at a duty base, and, most likely not being close to home. Deal with deployment if/when it comes.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
<--------Orson

Thanks everyone. I am glad I have this outlet where he doesn't see.

I try VERY hard to be supportive, but it's getting close and he talks about different aspects of it constantly now. I know it's part excitement and part nerves on his part as well, but it's hard for me to smile and nod and gets harder every day.

Looks like he will be doing BMT in South Carolina. After that is Tech training, then I do believe he is assigned air born training as well?? He is to be 91 bravo, or wheeled vehicle mechanic.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
...Looks like he will be doing BMT in South Carolina. After that is Tech training, then I do believe he is assigned air born training as well?? He is to be 91 bravo, or wheeled vehicle mechanic.
Army, right? Something our son told me to help with my nerves , "Even if I do get deployed, I'm a mechanic. I'll be on base (he's ASM-Aircraft Structural Mechanic).
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

((((((hugs)))))))

My brother graduated AF basic in November. My mom was a complete wreck the entire time and while I felt bad for her and I do worry for my brother....he made such an EXCELLENT choice. He's 22, has an associate's degree, had no idea what he wanted to do, and was basically just floating through life. So now he's going into the Air Force (he was EOD but I think he's switching) for six years, he gets training, he gets to travel, and hopefully he'll get out with a GI bill and a much broader perspective. I'm really proud of him. And better, I think HE'S really proud of him.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Not a mother with a son that is enlisting, but that is Micheal's plan for the fall. He'll be talking with a recruiter and getting dates finalized around March.

Not looking forward to it. At all. But I've already made my decision to support him in this, so my not-so-happy feelings don't really get to count at this point. But still. Bleh.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Army, right? Something our son told me to help with my nerves , "Even if I do get deployed, I'm a mechanic. I'll be on base (he's ASM-Aircraft Structural Mechanic).
Yes Army....much to his grandpa's chagrin, LOL He was AF, his brother was Navy, and his other brother was Army........they ALL THREE told Steve do AF....but of course that just made him do the opposite But yes, that is my one shining spot in this.......he's a mechanic and not infantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
((((((hugs)))))))

My brother graduated AF basic in November. My mom was a complete wreck the entire time and while I felt bad for her and I do worry for my brother....he made such an EXCELLENT choice. He's 22, has an associate's degree, had no idea what he wanted to do, and was basically just floating through life. So now he's going into the Air Force (he was EOD but I think he's switching) for six years, he gets training, he gets to travel, and hopefully he'll get out with a GI bill and a much broader perspective. I'm really proud of him. And better, I think HE'S really proud of him.
Steve's been kind of floating as well. He got certified in welding, something he wanted to do since he was little. Then there were no jobs open to him without a year or more experience (you know the market right now!) Then he flip flopped..........prison guard (we live close to 2 prisons, joy) no no....paramedic..........no no.....prison guard........meh, I don't know what to do, I'll just work in the shipping department till I figure it out. Then a couple years ago he started talking about the military.........I figured that too would pass. Well it didn't.

Like I said, I am proud of him.....but I have ALWAYS been proud of him.

He's 23, doesn't drink...at.all. No drugs. He's a health food/exercise nut for the most part. He's a dog lover. He doesn't have kids floating around (says he doesn't want kids at all....for now) He goes to work everyday...even when he was in college, he is responsible like that. Pays his bills. I could go on and on....can you tell I love him very much? LOL
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
...My brother graduated AF basic in November. My mom was a complete wreck the entire time...
I have to say, BMT was the hardest for me because of the restrictions on communications (letters only, no phone calls, emails, etc).
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
He's 23, doesn't drink...at.all. No drugs. He's a health food/exercise nut for the most part. He's a dog lover. He doesn't have kids floating around (says he doesn't want kids at all....for now) He goes to work everyday...even when he was in college, he is responsible like that. Pays his bills. I could go on and on....can you tell I love him very much? LOL
The similarities between him and my brother are eerily similar. LOL. Kyle went for machining instead of welding and does drink, but pretty much everything else is spot on. Weird!

I think it's probably different because he's my sibling and not my kid, but while I've always adored him and been proud of him...I've also wanted to kick him really hard a time or two.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013