Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

I don't think you should continue to walk them either, not because I think they're a "dangerous" animal, but because you could get hurt anyway if that makes sense.

They need training beyond a dog walker. They need someone to work with them regularly, they need more than walks and runs. Walks and runs, in my house, don't do **** to curb energy. Like someone mentioned, it only seems to bring up energy levels overall.

If you lived with the dogs, great, because it's going to be work on everything, not just walks that will make this better. and one dog at a time. It's going to be all the interactions, from when and how you open a crate, to how they are leashed, to how they act when the door is open, to making them chill while i'm watching TV would all be a part of the plan. and that's hard to do, when your'e just showing up to walk them a few times a week.

When I picture this, I don't even see it as a bite. Technically, yes I know it is, but anything that's not a, "I really want to hurt you bite" doesn't count with me . I can see this as more of him barking and your ear just got in the way, that said, it's something I wouldn't tolerate either. It can happen, but it's not tolerated anymore.

Work has to be done that shows them how to get things, and barking spinning and running out of control aren't ways to make things go faster, which at this point I think that is what they have learned by escalating every situation.

By no means is this a lost cause or even close, I just don't think you'll get it done in the time you're there. It's a much bigger commitment
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

My first thought was the seizure disorder too. Fran, if you go down they could kill you.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Right. I don't think these dogs are aggressive. But they sound very, very much out of control, yours and most people's.

The only way I'd maybe consider continuing to work with them would be if 1. The owners got a trainer, 2. They could be muzzled, and 3. You could get another walker to go with you and handle one while you handle the other

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

My dogs aren't a candidate for dog walkers and they are much less of a liability than these dogs are.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Show Dog

Yeah I couldn't imagine in a million years having a dog walker take my Mal out. I couldn't even imagine putting her in a boarding kennel or even having one of my dog savvy friends look after her. She's great with people and doesn't spin and bark at people or me or do anything like that, but she's a very high drive Malinois and even coming up to you for a pat could easily hurt someone. I have bruises all over just from general every day interactions. Part owning a dog like that is acknowledging they require more management than most other dogs. I hope the owners get some professional help especially with that separation anxiety.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

They were dropped as clients today. Honestly, it was for the best.
I went over to talk with them with their dogs and even with the help.. it wasn't a situation my boss or me felt comfortable with.

we gave them some rec for some day-cares that offer solo runs and such.. hopefully they pursue it.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
They were dropped as clients today. Honestly, it was for the best.
I went over to talk with them with their dogs and even with the help.. it wasn't a situation my boss or me felt comfortable with.

we gave them some rec for some day-cares that offer solo runs and such.. hopefully they pursue it.
I am glad to hear this. You are great for wanting to pursue other options for them, but honestly, some dogs aren't cut out to have dog walkers.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I am glad to hear this. You are great for wanting to pursue other options for them, but honestly, some dogs aren't cut out to have dog walkers.
Yup, good on you Fran, it's for the best though!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Resident fainting goat

I'm just such a sap. I KNOW it was for the best but I feel like I abandoned them.
We met at a nearby park and the male was so happy to see me. My boss already basically decided that we were done so it was hard to even look at the little guy

There was just no solution we could think of that would be safe for all parties (including the company)

A little sad. But they love their dogs.. I hope they find another solution.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Ask to stay in touch, can't hurt.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.