Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Puppy Dog

Throwing danes in the mix because, well, they're my thing. There is a lot of them, but not much hair on them, and while they are big to ward off scary people, the majority of them are love bugs, though I will say many males will develop a protective instinct at puberty. I have encountered few temperament issues in dogs who come from reputable breeders, but they are unfortunately slightly more common in the BYB danes. If it's something you'd be interested in, feel free to PM me!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Well, they're also very expensive and very hard to find. But it's all hypothetical anyway, I'll probably end up with a rescue.
Expensive, yes, hard to find..not if you know the right people. Afghan breeders are frustratingly close knit. Everyone knows about a new litter...except non Afghan people who might like to become Afghan people!

Hey if you ever want a rescue give me a shout! I can direct you to the right people. Heck if you are in my area I am the right people

There are actually more that come through rescue than there should be, given numbers and all that.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Expensive, yes, hard to find..not if you know the right people. Afghan breeders are frustratingly close knit. Everyone knows about a new litter...except non Afghan people who might like to become Afghan people!

Hey if you ever want a rescue give me a shout! I can direct you to the right people. Heck if you are in my area I am the right people

There are actually more that come through rescue than there should be, given numbers and all that.
If you're still on here in 4-5 years I definitely will. Can't see getting a dog any sooner than that, though.

The Affies in rescue can probably be explained by the temperament and the grooming requirements, IMO. You kind of have to be a sighthound person to like the personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Yeeesss! Come to the dark side.

I hate to publicly admit this, but I very, very rarely brush my zois. And when I do it's more of a bonding thing than because they need it. Strider has pretty long butt feathers and they need to be brushed out maybe once every couple of weeks or they get tangled but that's because he chews them. I'd probably do it more often if the brush didn't keep getting lost.

Strider loathes having his tail brushed. Loathes it, 100X more than getting bathed and having his nails trimmed combined. I haven't brushed it since he lost his puppy coat 4 years ago. It's never tangled, gotten any mats, just, nothing. It just looks fluffy and nice, and about once a year he blows it and grows new tail fur.
See, that's awesome. And it's not like you haven't brushed him in four years - he brushes himself once a year!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Borzoi! I knew I was missing an important one.

Affies are indeed single-coated. Their coat would be too high-maintenance for me, but as of now a Borzoi is looking like the best choice for potential-future-dog. . .
No, you're getting an Afghan Hound. I love them yet have no desire to own one, so I'll just be your official babysitter instead.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
No, you're getting an Afghan Hound. I love them yet have no desire to own one, so I'll just be your official babysitter instead.
*minion voice* Your wish is my command.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Taxiderpy

Sight hounds do appreciate the company of other sight hounds...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Bored Now.

AAAH I'm going to be living with two dogs soon. . . I can't plan for a third right now. Middie needs to be old before I do that, so that he doesn't have the energy to beat up the new addition.

I just want a Borzoi. Or possibly an Aussie. Ugh. I want a longhaired dog that I can pet and brush.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Sight hounds do appreciate the company of other sight hounds...
Does this mean I need another too???? Haha I would be insane to think about another dog right now, but Omg another beezer or a saluki... One day.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Puppy Dog

I have 3 long haired kids and I want a shot haired sighthounds the worst!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
AAAH I'm going to be living with two dogs soon. . . I can't plan for a third right now. Middie needs to be old before I do that, so that he doesn't have the energy to beat up the new addition.

I just want a Borzoi. Or possibly an Aussie. Ugh. I want a longhaired dog that I can pet and brush.
They'd gang up on him. Especially if you got two zois. Zois have two favorite games to play with other dogs.

1. Chase

2. Kill the wolf. Kill the wolf is where they run along side the other dog and play-grab their ears, scruff, or hamstrings, and continue running until the other dog gets tired. Then they wrestle them to the ground. BUahahaha. It scares the daylights out of strange dogs who think they're being killed, but familiar dogs know it's play and don't (usually) mind. I have to introduce them to new dogs separately though so they don't make a bad first impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Does this mean I need another too???? Haha I would be insane to think about another dog right now, but Omg another beezer or a saluki... One day.
I think Cricket counts as an honorary sight hound. But one day...