Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I didn't mean for it to sound like "oh nobody who works these hours should have these dogs"..but these dogs are not handling it well.

Perhaps if more work was put in in the morning/at night or something..or more training..but as it is, I worry about what these dogs will do all day now.

I know they jog with them at night but maybe some treadmills or like I dunno.. sedatives lol
Treadmills, work to eat toys, tracking, training a long down or off switch.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Sit! Good dog.

All I think is if they had you cornered... And they were highly aroused, and one accidentally caught you, and the other followed the (mistaken) cue......
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Big Dog

Hi fran
for every reason everyone else mentioned and i echo PLEASE stop walking these dogs this screams red flags to me. not only am i worried for children or others but you as well. Ok sorta alarmed anything that happens will be lightning quick. this is no offense to you or the dogs sounds like you are a great handler and learning more every day

Ashley
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Taxiderpy

Fran, just a thought but it scares me. I don't know if your seizures are controlled now or not, but the way the male responded to you bending over makes me very worried for your safety if you were to unexpectedly lose consciousness when he's out of the crate and all wound up. Don't feel compelled to post any health stuff, but please keep it in mind. Please be safe. If you're not able to walk these two any more I'm sure their owners will figure out some kind of alternative. They sound like smart people who are willing to work to find a solution for their dogs.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Fran, just a thought but it scares me. I don't know if your seizures are controlled now or not, but the way the male responded to you bending over makes me very worried for your safety if you were to unexpectedly lose consciousness when he's out of the crate and all wound up. Don't feel compelled to post any health stuff, but please keep it in mind. Please be safe. If you're not able to walk these two any more I'm sure their owners will figure out some kind of alternative. They sound like smart people who are willing to work to find a solution for their dogs.
Romy said it way better than I. Please be safe.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Bite Club

Yeah I wouldn't continue walking them either - I don't even walk my two by myself because they get so wound up together and feed off of each others excitement. Plus, walks don't really do much for them anyways, they just get more energy by the end of the walk.

Sounds like the dogs just need more mental stimulation and control work like others have said. They probably need more biting outlets too, not more walks or runs.

You're a great person for trying to help them!!!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Now there's a terrifying thought :/

Stay safe, Fran.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
I don't think you should be walking these dogs. I'm sorry, I know you want to help and get them out, but think of the liability if someone else you're walking by leans down to tie their shoe.

This is a great example of why the Malinois is not for everyone. If they were YOUR dogs, and/or you could do obedience with them, it would be a different story completely. But even if you could take the occasional misdirected nip, you can't tell them NOT to do that to someone else.

I agree with the others, these dogs need more work, with their owners, before being walked by a dog walker
This is just one of the many great posts in the thread about the issue, but it sums up my feelings exactly. You or your boss could get sued for millions if these dogs bite someone's kid. Malis could end up as the next "evil" breed on the channel five news. Your boss' business would be over. She is doing the right thing by saying this is too much of a liability.

Quote:
This was my first thought as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Treadmills, work to eat toys, tracking, training a long down or off switch.

I've always found that brain work goes a lot further with mine than physical exercise ever did. Actually, I think it got worse with more activity. But using their minds wears them out.

Even if they don't think they need obedience, suggest a trick class or something. It's fun for everybody and will keep the dogs mentally stimulated.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

We have a mal that we train with who is very much like this. Spin, spin, spin, BARK, BARK, BARK. With the occasional redirect onto pant legs/hands/whatever else he can grab.

Crate games have done wonders for him. I know his handler had the same issue where he just would not stop spinning, she would have to cover up the crate until he would calm down and start over every time. It's worked so far. His spinning is limited and it now only takes 1-2 times of covering up the crate to get him to calm down and THINK. The black and white rules of crate games have helped him because it is so literal. You break the rules, the door gets shut.

However, it is absolutely not your place to train these dogs. You couldn't pay me anything to walk the mal that is like that here. He redirects too often even onto his own handler for me to attempt working with him. The most I'll do is hold his leash while the owner walks a course (even then he is in a down stay commanded by her). The reason being, I'm below his radar. I'm just a walking post to him. He doesn't care what I think, I'm not the bringing of good things or the enforcer of rules. I'm nothing to him.

I wouldn't walk these dogs. Flat out.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie