Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Hot Shot like..the wasp killer?

All the ingredients in Rap Last, are the ingredients in pepper spray, by the way. "Pepper spray, also known as OC spray (from "Oleoresin Capsicum"), OC gas, and capsicum spray...". The first ingredient in Rap Last is Oleoresin Capsicum.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

A hot shot like ... A cattle prod, or as we call them a "short stick". Mind you that is only for the most aggressive dogs whom I know will harm me & my dogs & assertive stance or "get out of here" doesn't work, luckily I only had to use it twice as verbal deturant works if the dog really isn't serious about attacking.

Same with the rap last. But it is made to go on bandages that go on horses legs so it isn't as intense as the real stuff.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
A hot shot like ... A cattle prod
Have you lost your mind? If you used a cattle prod on my dog I would murder you. Slowly. With your own **** cattle prod.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to talk to them about it tomorrow. I know the landlord has been mentioning wanting to build a fenced in backyard area and he owns a fencing company so I'm surprised he hasn't done it already. Josh offered to help build the fence as well.

I'm for sure going to suggest tying him up temporarily while I walk my dogs. Their schedules fluctuate a lot so I know they wont be down for setting certain times for dogs to be outside and I don't want to bug them about that option since it is their property. I mainly do not want one of my dogs to end up hurt and I'm a little worried about Cricket developing leash reactivity since she has already started to get a little raised hackles when she sees him when we are out. She does get along with him, but she does not like him rushing up on her like he does.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
A hot shot like ... A cattle prod, or as we call them a "short stick". Mind you that is only for the most aggressive dogs whom I know will harm me & my dogs & assertive stance or "get out of here" doesn't work, luckily I only had to use it twice as verbal deturant works if the dog really isn't serious about attacking.

Same with the rap last. But it is made to go on bandages that go on horses legs so it isn't as intense as the real stuff.
It's the EXACT SAME ingredient as in pepper spray. And the second ingredient is capsaicine. Have you ever used capsaicine on your muscles, for soreness or arthritis? Ever accidentally touched your eye or nose after applying it?
To suggest spraying a dog with Rap Last in any situation where you or your dog's life is not in danger is exceedingly cruel.
Let me be more clear: you suggested spraying an exuberant lab puppy on his own property with this stuff and your suggestion, and your continued defense of it, and you, are exceedingly cruel.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Have you lost your mind? If you used a cattle prod on my dog I would murder you. Slowly. With your own **** cattle prod.
You didn't live in the neighborhood I did, you would understand. It was only as a last resort if I knew an attack was imminent on myself or my dogs. At the time I had a young puppy (Izze) & a small breed dog (Bear, jack Russell terrier) there were a couple of times where it was either use the prod or watch my dog be mauled right in front of me.

Luckily it was only a couple of times.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

You don't intentionally harm someone's animal on their own property, especially for relatively minor behavioral problems. On private property you respect it and the owners.

Private. Property. You do not have the same rights on private property as you do in public.

To suggest using pepper spray or "rap last" or any other eye-burning substance their own dog on their own land for rudeness is totally asinine. What to do in public with aggressive dogs really isn't relevant to this situation.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM

No, it isn't but someone raised a question to a situation where I would feel the use of wrap last or a cattle prod is needed.

No, the OP's situation is not appropriate, I was merely answering a question.

I think that the fence idea is most appropriate

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Dude. You can't pepper spray or hot shot a dog on it's own owner's land. Period. No need to even discuss it further.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Asking if you can tie the dog when you take yours out sounds entirely appropriate, and I can't imagine the owner being offended. As to spraying the dog, the product that would be effective and what I sometimes carry on walks is citronella spray (brand name "Spray Shield", I think), which is discouraging without being harmful to the dog in any way (won't discourage a serious attack, but will back off a curious or overly friendly dog). Bonus that the owners tend to get aggravated that you sprayed their dog with something, and they keep it away from you next time. It's +P for dog owners, really.

I wouldn't use that in this case, though, because the owners might be offended by it, even though it's harmless. The private property thing.