Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Professional Nerd

A bark collar worked wonders with Harry just as Aleron said. The more he barked the more wound up he got until he exploded.

Maybe I missed it, but how old are the dogs?

I like your description of how his teeth did it before his brain kicked in. Perfect description. They can be dangerous even if they don't mean to be if they get riled up. Harry knocked me out once. Stan pushed me down the stairs the other day.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My dogs are home alone M-Thursday from 7 am to 6 pm. They are fine. We will always own malinois, I would love to spend more time with them but they survive as it is. I would suggest they find an alternative.

Bark collars do stop Backups frenzy of tornado barking while guarding in the car but it would not stop any live bites. That said, while it doesn't sound like these dogs are in defense right now, be careful a collar won't put them there.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
A bark collar worked wonders with Harry just as Aleron said. The more he barked the more wound up he got until he exploded.

Maybe I missed it, but how old are the dogs?

I like your description of how his teeth did it before his brain kicked in. Perfect description. They can be dangerous even if they don't mean to be if they get riled up. Harry knocked me out once. Stan pushed me down the stairs the other day.
The girl is 5. The boy is just 1..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
The girl is 5. The boy is just 1..
Cool, he has 2 years before he adopts a brain. Have fun.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My dogs are home alone M-Thursday from 7 am to 6 pm. They are fine. We will always own malinois, I would love to spend more time with them but they survive as it is. I would suggest they find an alternative.

Both of my Malinois have survived a similar schedule. They will be okay.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Cool, he has 2 years before he adopts a brain. Have fun.
LOL too funny.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Professional Nerd

Two years? That's generous.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

I didn't mean for it to sound like "oh nobody who works these hours should have these dogs"..but these dogs are not handling it well.

Perhaps if more work was put in in the morning/at night or something..or more training..but as it is, I worry about what these dogs will do all day now.

I know they jog with them at night but maybe some treadmills or like I dunno.. sedatives lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:

Bark collars do stop Backups frenzy of tornado barking while guarding in the car but it would not stop any live bites. That said, while it doesn't sound like these dogs are in defense right now, be careful a collar won't put them there.
A bark collar stops Indys barking jags. It helps her keep her cool.

It did not stop Knox from getting wound up. It actually made him worse, and upped the risk of a live bite (I really like that term, lol)

Both of them are made to settle in the crate before being released, but I have done a LOT of work to make sure they're handlable (is that word??) by strangers in the crate at home, simply because you never know if something is going to happen and I might need a friend to come take care of them. It's happened in the past.

Knox would LIKE to blow the door off the crate when he's let out, but has been taught a WAIT command, and will wait until the leash is on to blow the door off the crate. Indy is much more polite, but will tell you all about how excited she is she's getting out of the crate unless she's got a bark collar on.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I suggest bark collars specifically for issues where the dog is working themselves into a frenzy that involves barking. I've used them for overly guardy dogs and have seen them really help for situations like this. I wouldn't expect them to work in all cases where dogs might bite of course. But this situation really sounds like an ideal use for them.

If the owners are willing to try them though, I'd have them introduce the dogs to the collars by themselves at home. Basically get them trained to the collars, so they already know collar on means you can't bark before you're back in the picture. Then they'll just have to wear them in their crates during the day. I think it could really help with their behavior while they're being walked too. I think you'd also know pretty quick if it will help enough or not.