Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Not a Border Collie

Maybe the OP doesn't feel like she has found "her breed" yet and is testing the waters. That's what this board is here for.

She's not trying to make "a breed conform". If she doesn't like BC intensity, there are loads of other established herding breeds that aren't are intense as a BC. For example - English Shepherds. Even working breeders, in these breeds, may not want a working dog that intense. It's not "BC intensity" or "couch potato".

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Understood, but to want a herding breed, then say "well I want one that is not so intense because that bothers me" then why not stick with your current breed of choice or look for a similar breed? Seems more practical then trying to make a breed conform.

I dont like to see breeders breeding "show/pet" & "working" lines in any breed for those who cant handle the "true" [insert breed here], it always has bothered me.
I think that's really valid. Intenseness first of all I think is subjective, various breeds show intensity different which can also come off less or more intense (Such as judging by eye, stance, speed etc.) depending on what the person and second of all not all herding breeds have the same level of intensity.

When you're trying to figure out what you want or like I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say "I don't really want this part at this level but I like a lot of these other things, what breed can I find that in?"
Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I was just speaking on behaf of my breed (ACD) because she group them in her list of breeds she deemed to intense (because they are but not in the way BCs are) I cant speak for other breeds with the same experience as I can with the ACD because I have over 10 yrs experience in the breed.

When first entering into a herding breed (or any breed for that matter) I would opt for an adult rescue, that way you know what kind of temperment you are getting (puppies, as we all know are a crap shoot) I was actually going to adopt a rescued collie when i was looking for a second dog ... but my vets references werent "complete enough" for them so I went through texas cattle dog rescue.

My best advice for you would be to go to rescue sites (even if they arent in your state) for information about breeds you are interested in ... rescue sites often have a wealth of honest, unbias info about "their" breed. (thats how I found out a mal wasnt for me)

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Maybe the OP doesn't feel like she has found "her breed" yet and is testing the waters. That's what this board is here for.

She's not trying to make "a breed conform". If she doesn't like BC intensity, there are loads of other established herding breeds that aren't are intense as a BC. For example - English Shepherds. Even working breeders, in these breeds, may not want a working dog that intense. It's not "BC intensity" or "couch potato".
Pretty much this. I love labs and will likely always have one, but agility is something I'd really like to do and I admire the handle oriented, "give me a job" type additude if the herding breeds. They also seem a bit more versitile in the dog sport department than labs, plus in the next few years we hope to get land and possibly some chickens, ducks, and a horse or two and a dog that could do some light duty herding would be fun.

I do think labs can be intense (though mine is not) but it's a different kind if intense than say, a border collie. It's hard to describe, but it's just different.

I'd love to find a herder that will also swim-lol! I love swimming dogs!

My issue with ACDs is more dog friendliness problems than intensity. From what I understand dog aggression is not at all uncommon in the breed and I want a more dog friendly dog.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I'd love to find a herder that will also swim-lol! I love swimming dogs!
Spanish Water Dog. http://www.swdclub.org/index.php

Though lots of dogs of different breeds swim.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Elsie loves swimming! She's more reactive than it sounds like you want, though. :]