Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
I'd just be upset if I had to not turn my dog out all the time over a renters dog.
But nobody suggested that the landlord shouldn't be allowed to turn out his dog. Only that she be allowed to restrain the dog for a brief period so dog drama doesn't ensue. Chester doesn't like other dogs getting in his bubble and is easily freaked out, so I understand the frustration.

I agree with the no sick/injury deal, and asking to tie up temporarily. I think the training would be a good back-up plan, but it would take some time. You could also approach it with the landlord as, "If me tying him up for a few minutes isn't acceptable, is there another idea you would suggest?"
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Think I said chew in my original post. Kong?

My #1 worry is her housing since its been an issue.

Approach carefully and read him. We are dog people and get it. They may not be. I said talk to him. Never said not to.

And good lord are people reading into this.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

If the dog was polite and well behaved, I'd see the landlords right to be annoyed ("my dog was here first, this is my home, it's his yard too") but if the dog is jumping on people and barking at them and in your dog's faces, I see no reason the landlord wouldn't agree to that reasonable request

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Squishy face

Skittles, I hope you figure out something that works for you in this situation.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask someone to put their dog up so that you can walk yours in peace. People who let their dogs run loose because they "live in the country" really tick me off. My parents live in the country, and my dogs were attacked in THEIR OWN YARD because of neighbors who thought it was ok to let their boxer run loose. They were also attacked by the same boxer when my parents had them on a walk (on leash) and Daisy actually made that boxer bleed. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should not be letting your dog run loose all over your neighbor's yards. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere, there are still dangers to letting your dog run loose with no supervision. In most rural areas it is perfectly legal for a farmer to shoot your dog if it is bothering their livestock. Not to mention your dog could tangle with a wild animal, get stuck in a poacher's trap, eat something bad, etc.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

You could offer to help train the dog as a thank you for the favor they did you. That way you won't insult..the 2 year old lab might have a chance not to follow in the footsteps of the dog before him.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

On the other hand it is easy to teach a dog that they have to stay away from you & only you (mine while they are staying at my folks know what they can get away with with them but when I am home visiting they are perfect angels) I agree, a few shots of citronella spray, though some dogs need something "tougher", I always used something called "Wrap Last" which is essentually pepper spray, its actually something you spray on stall bandages to keep the horses from messing with them.

One shot of that in the face & most dogs will not do it more then twice, its better then lets say, their dog & your dogs having a free for all when one or more of them get sick of being harassed with they are trying to use the restroom. Not to mention it can regress your training (having dogs that will start to not use the restroom for fear of being bombarded by some obnoxious dog).

That is if they say no to the tieing him up thing while you are outside but I would not lie about the reason, I would be straight foward with them, I would say in a diplomatic way that your dogs aare unable to use the restroom even because their dog is bothering them & then ask if you guys can compromise on just tying the dog up when you are outside letting your dogd do their business, then taking your dogs back inside, then letting their dog off.

you could also make a date where all the dogs can be outside playing together for further compromise or something like that (not during your dogs "bathroom time") maybe after your dogs have used the restroom or something like that.

also maybe you could offer to work with the dog to make him more neighborhood friendly to benifit everyone.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I definitely would NOT spray or otherwise punish a dog that is not yours and technically is on its own property. That would be a quick way to get evicted IMO
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If my tenants sprayed my dog in the face with pepper spray they would be out on their ass in two seconds.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, if my tenant was punishing my dog they'd be gone.

Ask if you can tie him while you are pottying the dogs and see what they say. Say your dogs want to play with their dog so won't go potty or say they are scared of him.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Yeah but our dogs arent being obnoxious & doing dangerous behavior, the OP has gone to them & given them the heads up (to my knowledge more then once, & as I read it, the neighbors have too) so its not like she just upped & decided to spray the dog in the face (the very obnoxious dog mind you). Still how is it any different then lets say if the neighbors did it.

I would toss someone out if they did anything like that to my dog... BUT my dogs are well behaved also, so they would be "punishing" them for doing normal, polite doggy things.