Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I am very vocal about it! It's one of the thing when Sara and I talked I think I said I just can't bring myself to be ok with, an alter agreement.
I dont know if it's been mentioned, and don't know how well this would work out given the uncommon nature of the procedures, but maybe do a contract for surgical sterilization other than neutering? I think I'll be going with a vasectomy if I end up with a male dog... though my current plan for a male is a Lundehund, which will possibly be bred.

I wouldn't buy a male pup from someone requiring me to neuter him, at least not before full maturity, and that seems like a tough one with most breeders. It's good to see people understanding the importance of this before breeding. I really love this breed, and have considerd them very seriously off and on, but honestly the politics seem like a big dramatic mess. Too bad for everyone involved.

I've read some really great things about their lifespans, and that's huge for me. Anyone have stats on this?
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I've spoken to you about this in private but, SEE, I'm not alone. Rue included your three Koolies have a very standardized and unique look. It perplexes me if you guys just got lucky or if everyone else is mixing random herders and saying look it's my koolie-esque dog.
THIS.

They have such a similar look, you really can't mistake them for anything but relatives. And I love how Trav, Didgie, and Zinga look - they are gorgeous dogs.

Second, I love this thread. Puppy pictures? Check. Transparent willingness to answer reasonable, polite questions about your potential breeding program? Check. More Koolie pictures? Check. Awesome, and a very informative read. This is what the other thread really should have been. I think it says a lot about Sara and Linds and their breeding ethics.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I dont know if it's been mentioned, and don't know how well this would work out given the uncommon nature of the procedures, but maybe do a contract for surgical sterilization other than neutering? I think I'll be going with a vasectomy if I end up with a male dog... though my current plan for a male is a Lundehund, which will possibly be bred.
Have you looked into cost for a vesctomy? Last I head years ago, there was only one vet possibly in the whole state willing to do it (a repro vet) and it was $800+. I imagine its over $1000. It doesn't really seem fair to require puppy buyers commit to such an expensive surgery that they may or may not find a vet willing to do anywhere.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
THIS.

They have such a similar look, you really can't mistake them for anything but relatives. And I love how Trav, Didgie, and Zinga look - they are gorgeous dogs.

Second, I love this thread. Puppy pictures? Check. Transparent willingness to answer reasonable, polite questions about your potential breeding program? Check. More Koolie pictures? Check. Awesome, and a very informative read. This is what the other thread really should have been. I think it says a lot about Sara and Linds and their breeding ethics.
Very much this!

I love how informative and transparent Linds and Sara are about their potential breeding program. Koolies are a breed I've been interested in since Linds brought Traveler home. I'm not ready for another dog any time in the near future, but I'm definitely keeping them on my radar for the future. I am so eager to see how everything works out, because I would absolutely love to get a puppy from them

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I wouldn't buy a male pup from someone requiring me to neuter him, at least not before full maturity, and that seems like a tough one with most breeders. It's good to see people understanding the importance of this before breeding. I really love this breed, and have considerd them very seriously off and on, but honestly the politics seem like a big dramatic mess. Too bad for everyone involved.

I've read some really great things about their lifespans, and that's huge for me. Anyone have stats on this?
I think the availability of a vastectomy would hinder that option. Like I said (or maybe I didn't, can't remember!), any agreement will be open for discussion and I'm actually really fond of writing up individual contracts for each puppy buyer based on the situations. I have no problem with people waiting until the appropriate time to neuter/spay as I tend to wait until at least 16 months with my dogs.

Their life spans are awesome! Zip Tie's grandad is 16 years old, I believe. The Toolalla dogs also are incredibly long lived. The best part? They keep working for the majority of their lives.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Have you looked into cost for a vesctomy? Last I head years ago, there was only one vet possibly in the whole state willing to do it (a repro vet) and it was $800+. I imagine its over $1000. It doesn't really seem fair to require puppy buyers commit to such an expensive surgery that they may or may not find a vet willing to do anywhere.
This. I know we don't do them at the clinic I work at, I've never looked into the cost or availability elsewhere, but I can't imagine it's that viable of an option. A great one in theory though!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
THIS.

Thank you! Yes, the consistency is one important reason why I chose to go with this breeder. Consistency in looks, structure as well as temperament. I needed to know what I was getting when I'm shipping a dog halfway around the world! This is also extremely important because I don't feel that it is worth it to ship an older dog (in terms of stress for the dog). Unless they are used to being in a crate, I can't imagine that long of a plane ride is anything but stressful on them. Puppies tend to bounce back easier from stressful situations, very apparent from when Didgie and Zinga came bouncing out of their crate at the airport!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Water Junkie

Is Zip Tie from the same breeder as Trav, Zinga, and Didgie?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Is Zip Tie from the same breeder as Trav, Zinga, and Didgie?
No, he's from a different breeder. However, his father is a Toolalla dog so they do share lines.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Thank you! Yes, the consistency is one important reason why I chose to go with this breeder. Consistency in looks, structure as well as temperament. I needed to know what I was getting when I'm shipping a dog halfway around the world! This is also extremely important because I don't feel that it is worth it to ship an older dog (in terms of stress for the dog). Unless they are used to being in a crate, I can't imagine that long of a plane ride is anything but stressful on them. Puppies tend to bounce back easier from stressful situations, very apparent from when Didgie and Zinga came bouncing out of their crate at the airport!
You're welcome.

I completely agree. . . I just don't see why anyone would buy a puppy without knowing what they're getting into. If I bought a puppy I'd expect consistent look and temperament. It doesn't make sense to pay $600-2,000 for a puppy you're not sure about when you could pay $300 for one from a rescue that's already been vetted, neutered, etc.