Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Behavior Nerd

I have several routes in my neighborhood that I've already mapped for distance, the treadmill records distance, and the hiking trails I take list distances, so that's what I'm using to calculate my totals.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Show Dog

On the MapMyWalk website you can create a map to track your hike and measure your distance.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Show Dog

Sooooo, consider me the one to be bogged down in pesky details, LOL. Was yesterday day #1, or is today? I told my husband about it and he thinks it's a great idea because I really tend to loose steam in the wintertime. He's buying me boot cleats for my birthday. Yeah, after nearly 27 years the romance ain't dead yet.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Behavior Nerd

LOL it's totally up to you! I started my count on the first basically and am playing some catch up, though I'm at 14 miles as of yesterday!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

I'm gonna try this too. I think I'm walking around 520 miles yearly anyways (an average of 10 miles a week), but I'll try upping it another hundred miles, to 620.

I'm game!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Show Dog

Last year I recorded 320 miles, but didn't start using that program until May and didn't use it for hiking or geocaching. Pretty much just to and from work. That would be about the time when gas prices jumped up and I got ticked.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

I'm game! I'm training for a 5k (and then later this year I'm going to start training for a half marathon) now, plus the random hiking I go on.

I keep track with RunKeeper. I love them so much! They have a free or paid app on the iPhone, and you can track running, walking, hiking, biking, swimming, all sorts of things all on the same app, and they have a separate website. You can have friends on there and follow each other to keep each other motivated. If anyone has one or wants to get one, let me know!

Actually, RunKeeper's goal tracking is only for one activity, so I can't say "Run + Hike 1000 miles" like I'd intended on, so mine is going to be only running. I run every other day, so I'm going to say 650 miles this year, because once I get started training my half marathon, I may decide I need to wait a while and keep working on my time for the 5k.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilliesMom View Post
Sooooo, consider me the one to be bogged down in pesky details, LOL. Was yesterday day #1, or is today? I told my husband about it and he thinks it's a great idea because I really tend to loose steam in the wintertime. He's buying me boot cleats for my birthday. Yeah, after nearly 27 years the romance ain't dead yet.
I'm backing mine up to start 1/1, personally.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
I'm game! I'm training for a 5k (and then later this year I'm going to start training for a half marathon) now, plus the random hiking I go on.

I keep track with RunKeeper. I love them so much! They have a free or paid app on the iPhone, and you can track running, walking, hiking, biking, swimming, all sorts of things all on the same app, and they have a separate website. You can have friends on there and follow each other to keep each other motivated. If anyone has one or wants to get one, let me know!

Actually, RunKeeper's goal tracking is only for one activity, so I can't say "Run + Hike 1000 miles" like I'd intended on, so mine is going to be only running. I run every other day, so I'm going to say 650 miles this year, because once I get started training my half marathon, I may decide I need to wait a while and keep working on my time for the 5k.
I'll check out Runkeeper, friend of mine uses that one. You could always use another program for your hiking, add the mileage together to get your weekly totals? I use Mapmywalk for tooling around the city, and EveryTrail for hiking/geocaching. You can alter the tracks a little more with Everytrail so I can clean it up a bit. Really don't want to track my time wandering around trees searching for tupperware and nine times out of ten I forget to pause the app.

Good luck on your training!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilliesMom View Post
I'll check out Runkeeper, friend of mine uses that one. You could always use another program for your hiking, add the mileage together to get your weekly totals? I use Mapmywalk for tooling around the city, and EveryTrail for hiking/geocaching. You can alter the tracks a little more with Everytrail so I can clean it up a bit. Really don't want to track my time wandering around trees searching for tupperware and nine times out of ten I forget to pause the app.

Good luck on your training!
I may do that; RunKeeper can have multiple goals, so I may later on add a hiking goal. Hiking is more of a spontaneous thing for me, though, so I'm not sure I want to have a goal for hiking. We'll see!