Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Behavior Nerd

What about teaching the dog to stay away yourself? Before he gets to you, chuck a biscuit his way, keep moving and only throw a biscuit to him when he's __ feet away?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
such sights to show you

Plus, the sick thing isn't going to last forever. I would just ask if they mind if you tie him up while you have your dogs out because it's easier for you, and just leave it at that.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
If you want to say there I am not sure I would even bring it up. We live in the middle of nowhere so our dogs can run loose(not jump on anyone lol) but if I let someone move in last minute to not be homeless I would be quit offended if they asked me to tie up my dog that I moved to the country so he could run loose. Period. Its hard to find a place to take pets so don't push it.
You would really be offended if someone asked if they could tie up your (rude) dog while they walk theirs? I'm assuming that skittle would untie the dog after she walked hers so really it's like a ten minute tie down which doesn't inconvenience the owner in any way.

ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm just...baffled I guess. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Taxiderpy

Is there space for one of those small chain link kennel things? Maybe you could ask if it's okay to put one up as a little bathroom area for your dogs. That way they could be turned loose inside to at least get the potty stuff done undisturbed.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

I would just say it's easier as well. Offering to tie the dog up yourself is a good option as long as you untie him afterwards!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Asking if you can tie up/ untie the dog only while you are walking yours is the best option in my opinion.

However, I would not use sick or injured. 1st, lying to people is never a good idea, especially when they are in your life. When your dog doesn't "recover," they will figure out your lie and imagine how offended they will be then?

I think you should approach from the Bam gets a little scared and it makes it too difficult to walk the dogs. This is when you ask them what they're usual schedule is for letting their dog out so that you can work around it or if you would be allowed to tie/untie him while you have your dog out.

This will work better for you bc they probably see you taking your dogs out and then let their dog out so they can "play." Once they are made aware the effect is very much the opposite and that you are offering to take up the extra responsibility and not inconvience them, I'm sure they will easily work with you.

I don't think they would get offended. I'm baffled why they would be offended by that as well. I find that as long as you are not making extra work for people, they will be ok with pretty much anything you need to help make life run smoother.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
You would really be offended if someone asked if they could tie up your (rude) dog while they walk theirs? I'm assuming that skittle would untie the dog after she walked hers so really it's like a ten minute tie down which doesn't inconvenience the owner in any way.

ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm just...baffled I guess. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
Sounds like they took them in as a kindness so they should not push it. She may not know how they are going to respond.

We have been looking at places with apartments and this is exactly why it is my mom that is going to rent it only! I'll give it that my dogs don't jump and I don't consider them annoying but am sure others do. But its their choice to not be at my home. Which I would be afraid he may tell her-its touchy ground when you have nowhere else to go. Does she have a lease? I thought this was a quick come stay here thing. She needs to be careful is all. Like I said no sick dog and be truthful, dog is not good with him. Don;t lie and say the dog is ill. I'd just be upset if I had to not turn my dog out all the time over a renters dog.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I must agree, as a landlord, I would be offended if someone made an unreasonable request but this is not one.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
What about teaching the dog to stay away yourself? Before he gets to you, chuck a biscuit his way, keep moving and only throw a biscuit to him when he's __ feet away?
I like this idea.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I didn't see this but it's a fantastic idea and it doesn't involve an upset owner(I think).
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.