Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh I understand working with them to prevent that from happening. I don't that'll be a problem. The lab mix my boss owns is more prone to herding the horses then the bc mix he has.
I wouldn't count on that being the norm. Gusto is half-BC; he is *not* permitted loose around horses other than Tristan. He will get killed in a heartbeat. It isn't even herding that he does, it is just very much in his head that We Stay Behind The Livestock.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I would definitely be concerned about having an ES near a busy road with no containment (don't know if you have a fence or not, just guessing you don't due to the bolded part of the above quote). Hudson is definitely motion sensitive and would, without a doubt, chase a car if given the opportunity.
I have a fenced in back yard now and Mickey (grandma's Scottie) is a primarily inside dog so my dog, whenever I get one, will be to. But I am trying to save up money to get a car then a place (preferably on the farm) then a dog, so it'll be a ways.down the road.
Plus I plan on reading and learning more about training in general and dogs around livestock, before I get a dog. So that will help me and future dog.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I wouldn't count on that being the norm. Gusto is half-BC; he is *not* permitted loose around horses other than Tristan. He will get killed in a heartbeat. It isn't even herding that he does, it is just very much in his head that We Stay Behind The Livestock.
As mentioned in my above post, I will learn more about training and dogs around livestock.
I have a lot to research and learn before future pup comes along.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Even really excellent, qualified trainers have had dogs killed by horses - it's happened right here on Chaz. I'm not sure how much training will keep a dog safe if they've got tendencies to act inappropriately around horses, or even doing things like chasing a squirrel or something past a horse.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Even really excellent, qualified trainers have had dogs killed by horses - it's happened right here on Chaz. I'm not sure how much training will keep a dog safe if they've got tendencies to act inappropriately around horses, or even doing things like chasing a squirrel or something past a horse.
I understand that. Im not saying it will never happen. I know you can't train certain things out of a certain breed.
What Im saying is that I want to learn how to train better so the past situations don't happen again and so I can give my future pup a better training environment and a better handler.