Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Opinions on smoking marijuana while pregnant?
NO. Just NO.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-...gnancy_2490.bc

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

I don't believe the actual marijuana is as dangerous as say, alcohol, or nicotine, while pregnant.

But smoking ANYTHING is going to be extremely bad for fetal health and potential dangerous to it's survival. Any time you're getting air that's compromised or causes less oxygen to be taken in, it's going to do a lot of damage.

I would be curious as to the effects of, say, eating a marijuana cookie or brownie during pregnancy - but like with most things in pregnancy, there is really no ethical way to study the safety.

I also believe that if you were to use illegal drugs while pregnant, the legal repercussions of getting caught (which may very well happen if you're hospitalized at any time during pregnancy), are far, far, far worse than getting caught while not pregnant. You can pretty much guarantee you'll be doing jail time and won't be seeing your baby until you go through rehab.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Opinions on smoking marijuana while pregnant?

- It is illegal. Especially illegal for those already under police scrutiny.
- Studies have shown it's harmful:

The use of marijuana during pregnancy can impair the growth of the baby, according to the Cleveland Clinic.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health...pregnancy.aspx

Babies who have suffered the effects of exposure to marijuana in the womb of the mother-to-be have difficult paying attention later on in childhood. This may continue as attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, children who were developing while their mothers smoked marijuana have more problems with memory and paying attention than other children.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...#ixzz2HE6wrkse

Marijuana is the most frequently used illicit drug among women of childbearing age in the United States (1). Some studies suggest that use of marijuana during pregnancy may slow fetal growth and slightly decrease the length of pregnancy (possibly increasing the risk of premature birth)

After delivery, some babies who were regularly exposed to marijuana before birth appear to undergo withdrawal-like symptoms, including excessive crying and trembling (2, 3). These babies have difficulty with state regulation (the ability to easily adjust to touch and changes in their environment), are more sensitive to stimulation and have poor sleep patterns.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnanc...rug.html#head2

One study even found that young children whose mothers smoked marijuana during pregnancy had a higher risk of leukemia than those whose mothers did not.

*disclaimer: there is some debate about these effects. but point being.. it hasn't been proven to be NOT harmful and the research showing it isn't harmful is a lot less proven frankly.
AKA: Don't risk it. Be healthy for the sake of your child.

I'm sure there are plenty of women that do smoke during pregnancy. That said, some women drink during pregnancy and do all kinds of things.. "well I know someone who did it and no harm done" is not good enough reason to risk it IMO

- Once again, since it is ILLEGAL. Weed can be laced with all kinds of other drugs which in combination could TRULY harm the baby in many other ways. What you put in your body DOES affect the baby.

So yea, don't do it.
Just.. No.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Resident fainting goat

I am ALL for people who want to smoke themselves. I am not against weed in general I mean, we are all (mostly) adults here..

but pushing it on minors/non fully consenting adults who don't understand the drug, what they are doing or have a choice in the sometimes risks (AKA: Fetus, children, minors) is NOT ok in my book.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

I also know at least three people who have suffered from very, very serious medical effects (two were hospitalized long-term) after smoking marijuana laced with other drugs. Even if marijuana was proven safe (which it is most certainly not), I would never, ever, ever risk purchasing and smoking marijuana I wasn't 110% sure was pure while pregnant (IE. Marijuana I or a very close friend hadn't grown ourselves).

The fact that you're even considering this, Barbara, is a really good sign you need to be seeking further professional help. I know you spoke to a therapist, which is a great step, but are you seeing them regularly? And have you told them about your prior marijuana use and your desires to continue using it even while pregnant? ETA: You might want to seek out an NA meeting. While those are generally geared towards harder, physically addictive drugs, you may learn a lot of coping skills to help you when you want to smoke, and tips on dealing with what seems to be a mental addiction.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
I had a sore ankle for a week or two. It's probably just from gait change like sparks mentioned. If you get cramps in addition, I'd suggest a magnesium supplement.
Magnesium is great! It also helps for constipation, I used to take it when I traveled to dog shows a lot, lots of hours in the car = being "plugged up" often times :/. Aloe Vera/ cactus supplements are also good for the digestive tract

Not sure about the safety when concerning pregnant women, so I'd ask your DR.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

So ... When the belly gets bigger it hurts? Like ... What kind of hurt? I will never be pregnant so I will never find out first hand so that's why I'm asking ... Honestly. That & doing a lot of googling

Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
So ... When the belly gets bigger it hurts? Like ... What kind of hurt? I will never be pregnant so I will never find out first hand so that's why I'm asking ... Honestly. That & doing a lot of googling
I'm only 21 weeks so i have a ways to go yet but so far it doesn't hurt per se, it's occasionally uncomfortable. Obviously the baby is taking up space so I can eat smaller meals only, breathing is sometimes more difficult and I get winded easier. I can't lay on my back anymore because the weight of my uterus compresses a major vein and makes me light headed, and now when I lay on my side I have to support my belly with a pillow because it feels stretched and uncomfortable otherwise.

Lifting things up or reaching over my head is also a little uncomfortable because it feels like I'm stretching already stretched muscles.

As for baby movement, it's changed from butterfly flutters to actually kicks and rolls but she's too little at this point for it to hurt. Sometimes I feel a lot of pressure from her pushing, especially of I'm sitting in a certain position. I find the bottom of my uterus is more likely to be uncomfortable from her kicks than the top where she presses her head out.

None of it is severe. I'd describe it as mildly uncomfortable at most right now. The worst has been the sciatica pain which strikes without warning at supremely inopportune times like when I'm helping restrain a dog at work or trying to walk up stairs and get stuck.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
A woman's belly shouldn't HURT while she's pregnant (until labor or contractions), but sometimes it feels like very, very mild menstrual cramping, constipation is common in pregnancy which I imagine is very uncomfortable/painful (I've actually never experienced it in my life, so not sure how bad it is), and sometimes if you move very suddenly or strain (such as sneezing, etc), your ligaments can hurt which is kind of a sharp pain, but not very severe and it only lasts a minute.

As the baby gets bigger, you might feel something like pressure or jabbing in your ribs, heartburn, and so on...but it shouldn't feel anything more than awkward or uncomfortable unless there's a problem.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
The fact that you're even considering this, Barbara, is a really good sign you need to be seeking further professional help. I know you spoke to a therapist, which is a great step, but are you seeing them regularly? And have you told them about your prior marijuana use and your desires to continue using it even while pregnant? ETA: You might want to seek out an NA meeting. While those are generally geared towards harder, physically addictive drugs, you may learn a lot of coping skills to help you when you want to smoke, and tips on dealing with what seems to be a mental addiction.
Wow... So many assumptions in one paragraph. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb