Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Ozzy is the fun police here lmao. If ANY ONE is having a good rowdy time, he's RIGHT there in their faces barking at them.

At the daycare I worked at we called dogs like that "yard cops" lol
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the info everyone

Quote:
The Japanese Akita has a tendency to be a dominant dog who may expect other dogs to be submissive. If they fail to live up to the Akita's expectations, incidents can happen.
I looked up Akita information and read this, and it worries me a bit. This is due to Crystal being... well, being a referee. LOL. She likes to be the one in charge of the others, and although she will allow dogs to referee her, she won't allow them to be too pushy. So I'm wondering how they would do with another pushy/fun police type dog?

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccistar View Post
Have you looked into the Akita Inu or Shiba Inu?...
Honestly, I don't think either breed would be a good choice. Akitas can be pretty aggressive towards other animals. In fact, the breed standard says they may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.
Temperament: Alert and responsive, dignified and courageous. Akitas may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.

Shibas aren't very big- only about 25 pounds. The standard says they can be aggressive towards other dogs, too.
Temperament:A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Honestly, I don't think either breed would be a good choice. Akitas can be pretty aggressive towards other animals. In fact, the breed standard says they may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.
Temperament: Alert and responsive, dignified and courageous. Akitas may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.

Shibas aren't very big- only about 25 pounds. The standard says they can be aggressive towards other dogs, too.
Temperament:A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.
I felt like I thought Shibas were small.

Ah, well then Shibas and Akitas are out. Even if they are quite the beautiful dogs.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Akitas and Shiba Inus fit very, very few of the requirements you're looking for. (In fact I think the only one they really fit is the coat maintenance).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
...Ah, well then Shibas and Akitas are out. Even if they are quite the beautiful dogs.
I still think a Lab would fit what you want. Maybe if your parents met a few that weren't "whiskey barrels on legs", they'd realize all Labs aren't fat. Can't say much for the unattractive part- I've met a few that were "butt ugly", and others that were gorgeous. it might take some looking, but you can find Labs that are a nice combo of field and bench lines (I have seen extrememes in both).
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

I was going to suggest a vizsla, but when you said you didn't like the look of pointers, I didn't mention it. But if you do decide to consider some gundogs, I think a vizsla very much fits your wants.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I was going to suggest a vizsla, but when you said you didn't like the look of pointers, I didn't mention it. But if you do decide to consider some gundogs, I think a vizsla very much fits your wants.
Again, I absolutely love Vizsla's but not exactly how they look. I feel so picky, ahaha. But then again I swore all Pugs were ugly until I met the one down the street, then I found them absolutely adorable.

Quote:
I still think a Lab would fit what you want. Maybe if your parents met a few that weren't "whiskey barrels on legs", they'd realize all Labs aren't fat. Can't say much for the unattractive part- I've met a few that were "butt ugly", and others that were gorgeous. it might take some looking, but you can find Labs that are a nice combo of field and bench lines (I have seen extrememes in both).
I think that might change their mind, although I'm unsure. I know when my parents think of Labs they automatically think of the average overweight lab down the block.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
...I know when my parents think of Labs they automatically think of the average overweight lab down the block.
They need to meet Caleb!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
They need to meet Caleb!
I'll just borrow him for a moment...