Senior dogs make for hard decisions.

Red Chrome

I unfortunately had to finally make the decision to end Hobie's suffering. He is 13 years old and he can barely get up and down. He has had more falls recently as well. He is a very proud dog and doesn't accept help easily. He hates it in fact. I talked to my vet Friday and took him in for his senior exam and to get an outsiders opinion. My vet advised me that the kindest thing I could do for Hobie would be to make that decision. He sent me home with some heavier pain meds for him and told me to take him home, think about it and make a list of good and bad days. I did that and an hour later called the office to make an appointment to do what is best for Hobie.

I don't want to do this. I hate doing it and my heart says to try alternative medicine. My head tells me it isn't fair to Hobie and that I know what I need to do for him. I hate this feeling and I hate having to make an appointment for it. It is set for Wednesday, it is the quiet day at the clinic and what his vet suggested for him. Hobie hates the vet so the quieter the better.

I wish there was a magic cure to make old dogs not be old anymore. I don't want to do this. I want him for more years. My family and close friends keep telling me, I am doing the right thing. I don't see it. This is the worst feeling ever.

Red Chrome

This is why I am not going to Rose City to compete. I have known the time was coming, I just didn't want to believe it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm so sorry. It never feels like it's the right time, and I know you've heard it before, but you are doing right by him. It's the kindest gift you could give him. (((((hugs)))))

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm so sorry. It never feels like it's the right time, and I know you've heard it before, but you are doing right by him. It's the kindest gift you could give him. (((((hugs)))))
This. I'm really sorry. He's had a great life with you. The best thing you can give him now is a good dignified passing. It never feels like the right time.

Sparrow

I am so very sorry. :-( I know with my cat, once the decision was made (which was the hardest, most horrible thing I've ever done in my life,) I was at peace, and was then able to spend her last day on this earth with her and actually enjoy that time. I was able to see from her that it was the right time, but we still had quality time together. She even purred and stretched out for snuggles on that last day, and I was always sure something like would make me feel it wasn't time yet - make me question it. But it was right, and making the decision made it okay to relax and enjoy that time together. I was afraid it would feel morbid, but it wasn't. It was special.

You know when you know, even if it's harder than you thought it would be to decide. Everyone always says you'll know for sure when it's time. They will let you know. That isn't exactly true, and I was really pissed off over not knowing. But getting an outside opinion, talking to yourself, talking to a close friend, and talking to your pet... you get there. Once you are there, take that remaining time and give it all you've got. Make treasured memories. Make paw prints on a piece of paper. Cut a lock of fur. Take pictures of you together. Snuggle. Love. And have a frank discussion with him about the matter. Pour your heart out, and give lots of kisses and strokes.

Remember that many do not have it so good to be able to decide how and when to end suffering in a dignified and peaceful manner. Many do not get to truly say good-bye to their family members. At least you get that much, and he gets the passing he deserves. <3

Hang in there.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry. You're doing the greatest act of love we can for our loved ones, to let them go & not suffer. Hugs

Gypsydals

Sorry ((HUGS)). That is one of the toughest decisions you will have to make. I had to make it with my 4 yr old Dalmatian.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
it never feels "right"--I still think about having to make that decision for my old girl Traveler, and that was 3 years ago now. I'm so sorry.

Red Chrome

Thank you everyone. It has been rough. After having to let Red go so unexpectedly 2 years ago, I have a rough time with letting go.

Hobie is in my senior pictures. He went from 8th grade with me all through college, jobs,moves etc. I am 27 now, I have had him since I was 14. He is the first dog I did classes with, he got a CGC and failed a TT test. He is a good old dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I will be thinking of you Wed and holding you in silent mediation. Vibes for strength, and hugs for your heart. I don't think there is anything harder than saying goodbye and seeing them across the bridge. May the angels be waiting with open arms.

joce

So sorry. I know how tough it is. Ill be thinking of you.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I'm so sorry, this is the part as pet owners we all push to the back of our mind, but at the same time it's the greatest gift we can give when it's needed. ((hugs))

i'm so very sorry Courtney. i wish i could say something, anything to ease your pain right now. But there are no words :( just know you are in my thoughts and i'll give you a big hug the next time i see you.

I am so sorry.

I hate that feeling. You know it is right, but being right doesn't make it any easier.

I dread the day with Pongo. I also got Pongo when I was 14 yrs old (he was 4 weeks old) and he has been thru several moves, lots of up and downs, many other dogs, but he has always been there. He will be 16 this year and has congestive heart failure now and sleeps a lot. But he is still plugging along, but I know we are on borrowed time.

Members online

No members online now.