Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My girlfriend has a great little girl from a ranch in Utah that both works and trials their BCs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I don't know...... Purpose is so subjective. I bought a gun dog from a breeder who doesn't work her dogs... She shows. The sire on the other hand still goes on hunts to this day (and he was a show champion). I PURPOSEFULLY chose a breeder who showed and didn't work, as I didn't want my first gsp to be the last.

But in a breed were there are many breeders to choose from, that is ok. I think if gsp were rare, I'd probably have a very different opinion on that. It's a tough one to call on purpose. No winners.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

One thing to consider, proven working bred to proven working (and from a pedigree solid of working dogs) only increases the odds that the offspring will be suitable working dogs. How breeders culls the non working suitable pups depends on where they are, what is normal in their world for culling and the availablity of prospective owners that WANT what the breeder deems to be a cull i.e pet, non showing, non working or sport homes.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Im really loving this thread. When i joined this forum, im sure many of you remember, i was dead set on koolie. However, after doing some research and learing a little bit more about the kooloe community i was really turned off. In addition, aan ACD breeding came up that i really like the lines of. But it is still a breed that i adore and would love to own one day. I am not interested in sports at all. I want a working dog. Ive researched A TON on herding styles and all that good stuff. There are a few people out west, including my ACD breeder, who i hope to go out and work my dogs with them on their ranch when they move their cattle for the summer/slaughter. Plus i plan to have cattle and ducks as well to work my dgs on regularly. However, my working style will be quite different drom those who trial. I will be quite hands off let the dog do their thing. Point is, if you need a co own who herding is their life, you found it. Plus im in MI so not too far away.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I am not a breeder. I do not know much about titling, health testing and all that jazz, so my posts may mean nothing to you, but I'll say it anyway.

I feel you two are already doing great things by constantly learning about the breed. You CARE. You actually CARE about the dogs and the breed. You listen to what people tell you. You are already steps ahead of many breeders. That is a huge accomplishment, in my eyes. I don't care if your dogs herd sheep or compete in flyball, although I know people purchasing them probably will. You want to do as much as possible with the breed and that is admirable, but as you and others have stated, you can't do everything. People are always going to find something wrong with the way you do things. If herding isn't as important to you as...something else (my lack of knowledge is obvious here) then don't focus on it. People might complain about that.
This. Herding or no.. you guys are doing great by this breed and already on well on your way to doing great things IMO

If herding isn't important to you and isn't what you want to focus on your breeding program then don't do it.
The surest way to fail is to try and please everyone. Do what you love with the dogs you love and do it responsibly and the rest will work itself out.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Puppy Dog

He is soooooo cute!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM
and Spy.

Linds -- vocal was meant *not* in a bad way I have always admired your attitude because it closely mirrored mine and my reasons for not neutering my dog. After being given so much freedom of choice with Spy's health I think I will have a hard time going to a breeder who forces me to alter a dog at a certain age because it just doesn't sit well with me.

I was just very surprised to hear that you guys were thinking of implementing that, so thanks for shedding some light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't think anyone (or at least me) was trying to attack or say you HAD to work a herding breed in stockwork to breed. I specifically said I am fine with sports breeding and to be honest I am looking for a breeder that breeds versatile dogs, breeds for health, and proper working temperament. I will honestly probably always be going for the 'all arounder' type breeder. I just know that Linds and Sara too have talked a lot about the breed being a working breed and was wondering more about the logistics of it all. It wasn't meant to read that they were doing it WRONG.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I don't think anyone (or at least me) was trying to attack or say you HAD to work a herding breed in stockwork to breed. I specifically said I am fine with sports breeding and to be honest I am looking for a breeder that breeds versatile dogs, breeds for health, and proper working temperament. I will honestly probably always be going for the 'all arounder' type breeder. I just know that Linds and Sara too have talked a lot about the breed being a working breed and was wondering more about the logistics of it all. It wasn't meant to read that they were doing it WRONG.
I at all don't feel attacked in anyway by these questions. In fact, we encouraged them!

As I've stated before, I will do more than just a HCT, however, I don't understand enough about herding trials to promise anything down that path yet. The instructor we work with has kelpies as well as BC's and she encouraged me to look at herding trials for Zinga. When we get back to doing our lessons in the spring time, I will still view that as an option. However, agility and disc are still going to be my main priority. I purposely got both of my current dogs as performance dogs so it doesn't make sense to not make it my priority for any future dogs I might have.

That is also the reason why I chose to go with Linds' breeder. I know his dogs succeed to the level I need for agility, I know they have the drive I desire and I know they were everything I was looking for. It's also why I chose to stick with the Zing/Didgie's litter, even though it would have been smarter for a breeding plan to go with a different one.

I am beyond thrilled with the drive shown in Zinga so far. I plan on preserving that for future generations: drivey, confident dogs that are a blast to work with, no matter the activity. That is my breeding goal.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think that's what Sara and Linds are looking at here. How do they stack the deck appropriately, WHERE are they stacking the deck? Their breeding program (if you can even call it that yet!) is in it's infant stages so these are all things they are still discovering and deciding.
Hadn't thought of it that way - great perspective, thanks!

I, too, didn't think any of this as pushing you guys in one direction or another. I thought this has been a great discussion about the breed/direction you might take here in the states. And of course, ultimately it's completely up to you two!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l