Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Big Dog

Now as for working style...they are laid back, perfect for ranching or in cutblocks, very much like collies, smooth or rough for that matter...kelpies like to drop the head, and i have a few coolies that do but most are straight up workers...eyes out is never a problem for them, therefor working stock without too much predotory feel, makes for smoother moving...I have dogs that love ranch work but not so much trial work, and then i have dogs that work great for both but do better for ranch work because getting the job done fast is not necesarily a priority for them. I like that for ranch work, who wants to be stressed and pressured when doing morning or evening chores...not me...lol
So for trial work i train dogs with more eye and crawl for more speed.

The ease in training i think is what sets them apart from other breeds, they do not lock on so are more influenceable during the training moments, they are more laid back so are not looking to rush sheep past, thru or over you lol...and they are independent so do amazing with more europeing style herding, perimeter work more less, like the old fashion GSD...they will work a ditch line for grazing without fences with little to no direction at all
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

They look different from the Toolalla lined dogs here and they look different from Rue as well, but I don't really think Avalon's dogs look like Border Collies. And they definitely do not act like Border Collies. So while some people might think they look similar, that's where the resemblance stops. They did remind my mom and I a little bit of ACDs in looks here and there depending on the angle/what they were doing, but again, they didn't act like an ACD. Well, I shouldn't say 'they'. Mainly just her girl reminded us of one. Movement wise they were much more upright (kind of pranced actually) though, loose eyed and while seriously focused on the game they were playing, they also came across rather goofy and just all around fun-loving. And suuuuper cuddly and friendly with people they just met. Based on how C/Koolies were described to me by a bunch of different people with dogs from all different lines before I met two, they pretty well behaved/acted as I expected and certainly came across as all Coolie to me.

C/Koolies vary a ton in looks, as was said, but that doesn't make them any less C/Koolie. When I was looking I came across some that reminded me of huge Cattledogs and honestly are not aesthetically pleasing dogs at all to me (they were very blocky/stocky and like 50lbs+), some that were small and stockier with a short but thick double coat (like Avalon's), some that were finer boned and short coated (not smooth, but lacking a thick undercoat) and smaller (like the Toolalla dogs on Chaz and Rue), some that had flopped/rose ears, some with prick ears, long haired ones, slightly different head shapes etc. Different lines have different looks to them, seemingly based on their region and also the breeder's preferences. But along with such variety, I could still tell that the vast majority were undoubtedly C/Koolies, and even with the variety, many breeders do have similar looking dogs, whether lines are shared or not.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Aren't they North Australia/South Australia?

My friend in Australia may just be insane. Cause I did ask before posting.
Uh, no, LOL. South Australia is a territory, but there's... five territories? Six? And another is Northern Territory but not "North Australia." Queensland. ffffff that's all I can remember.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
Pretty sure it's just Australia.
Well I know there's at least a South Australia. Because I accidentally wrote the "South" when sending the person a card, and the card got sent back to me.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Uh, no, LOL. South Australia is a territory, but there's... five territories? Six? And another is Northern Territory but not "North Australia." Queensland. ffffff that's all I can remember.
yah, I just checked. I just assumed it was North... cause there's South and Western, but apparently it's not.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Do we really need to hash out geography here? lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

But that's a territory or a state, not a country. That's like saying it's insert-fifty-states-here instead of United States.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

To be fair, I have an AKC recognized breed that varies a great deal in looks. I get a bit tired of people coming up to me at shows and saying "The people involved in this breed need to look at their standard, there's no way these dogs could all be correct. None of them look the same at all!". Breeds don't have to be identical cookie cutters to be a breed. With working bred dogs, you'll find personal preferences can factor in even more. This breeder likes small, slick coated dogs for where they live but that one likes more substantial, thick coated dogs for their purposes. It isn't terribly hard to select for different coats or builds within a population.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Big Dog

Toolalla lines do not "make up the breed"...they are stunning dogs absolutly, but there are many other coolie breeders out there...and they all have stunning dogs...that yes do all have different looks, personality and skills. There is something there for everyone. I am thrilled to offer a "different side" of coolies for everyone to get to know
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
I personally do not find them to look anything like a BC...not at all...not in looks, not in personality and certainly not in working style.
Would you mind elaborating on that? I like BCs a lot but have some sticking points with them. Koolies in a lot of ways seem to 'fix' some of the sticking points but I am always looking for more input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
To be fair, I have an AKC recognized breed that varies a great deal in looks. I get a bit tired of people coming up to me at shows and saying "The people involved in this breed need to look at their standard, there's no way these dogs could all be correct. None of them look the same at all!". Breeds don't have to be identical cookie cutters to be a breed. With working bred dogs, you'll find personal preferences can factor in even more. This breeder likes small, slick coated dogs for where they live but that one likes more substantial, thick coated dogs for their purposes. It isn't terribly hard to select for different coats or builds within a population.
Heck I get that even in papillons, which I do think are pretty standardized. I've gotten many questions online and off wondering why my dogs all look so different and which is 'right'. They really all are. Variety is not a bad thing. BCs vary just as much if not more than koolies looks wise. Aussies also vary a ton in looks.

You can find a BC that looks like an Aussie. An Aussie that looks like a BC. An English shepherd that looks like an Aussie or a BC. Or a Welsh sheepdog that looks like a BC. Or a koolie that looks like a BC.

There's some overlap looks-wise in many of these breeds and varying types.
Closed Thread